DW1655 OEM, shows up as ATAPI DVD LS8x16x8x16

Okay. I tried searching on this forum, but came up with no luck. I am sure there are a couple posts already, but my searches turned up empty.

I go to device manager and look at my dvd drive. It actually shows up as two optical drives.

They read as follows:
ATAPI DVD LS 8x16x8x16
AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

I never really took notice to any of this before because it read and burned discs just fine. Then today when I went to use the lightscribe function, I noticed it wasn’t in Nero. So I decided to check what kind of fw I had going for it in the device manager, and that is what I found. Also the fw date is listed as 2001 on these two drives that are ‘installed’. I tried using the firmware updater program thing from benq website but it basically says those drives are invalid or something like that. I don’t know what it takes to fix it, but any help is appreciated. I have another pc with this same drive, so I’m cursious to check that one too, hopefully its an easy fix b/c I may have to do it twice.

Dustin

Go here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=149980
Its a program called BQFLASHER. I own a 1655 oem myself. Your just gonna crossflash to a retail firmware. Simple and and soon enough your drive will come up correctly :iagree:

Appreciate the quick reply.

Which version of the firmware should I install on my Benq drive? Will the ones on the Benq site work? The ones on the Benq web site are like self installers, will that work if I browse and point to one of those via the BQFlasher?

I have one I DLed from Benq website called BCDB should I use this one?

Dustin

Yes, you can use the BENQ EXE FIRMWARES with the BQFLASHER.

okay. I did use the BQFlasher and pointed it at the BCDB firmware. It said it wanted to restart so I did. Then I accessed the device manager once it restarted and just tried to ‘update driver’ again to see what would happen and it said it was in the process of updating and it needed to restart, so i did so again.

It appeared on the list as a DW1655. After restarting a second time it still appears as DW1655. However the firmware date still is listed as some date in 2001.

Also on the DVD/CD ROM list there are still two items listed. One item is DW1655 and one is (AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device).

I only have one optical drive installed, why is it still showing two?

Also in NERO, I still do not have the lightscribe option available. Do I need to download some sort of system-wide lightscribe update?

Thanks once again.

Dustin

what firmware is on the drive? use cd/dvd speed to see what firmware is on the drive.
to have lightscribe option you’ll need the correct version of nero burn.

The device driver is the Windows cd/dvd driver. It is contained on the hard drive in a Windows file.

Firmware is stored on the burner itself. As DVD Addict suggested, use Nero CD/DVD speed to check.

You need to go to Nero.com or Lightscribe.com and download the latest Lightscribe driver. Then it will show up as an option in Nero. Personally I prefer to use Surething.

I believe “AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device” is a virtual drive created by Alcohol 120%. If you do have Alcohol installed in your system then no need to worry.

You can download the latest Lightscribe drivers here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141769

you also need to have correct cd-key to get lightscrible.

Hey thanks. That is exactly right.

Also I guess I didn’t see it before in the options, but it was under extras in Nero StartSmart. All is well. I am going to try my first label with a 1655. I had a 1625 before and I loved it, hopefully the same with this one.

Dustin

I’m new to this site…I found it by googling a problem I’m having with my computer and am hoping someone can help me.

I installed an Atapi DVD 8x16x8x16 drive in my computer about a year and a half ago. It worked initially. I haven’t used it in many months now and I tried to use it this week. It will read audio CDs that I put in there, but every time I try to insert a DVD in the drive, my computer automatically reboots.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? (I’m relatively computer savvy, but not by any means a techie…)

Thanks.

Do you have any other DVD-related software like Alchohol, Daemon Tools, DVD43, or AnyDVD? Try to uninstall them and see if your computer will reboot or not after inserting the DVD.

I have Nero on there (it came with the drive) which I reinstalled…and I had the same problem.

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:
Uninstall any packet writing software like Sonic DLA or Nero INCD.