DW1655 - My first BenQ drive - help on settings please

Hello everyone just got my first BENQ drive, the DW1655. I am wondering how to have all these extra settings set to have the best performance… should I always have WOPC on? should Solidburn be on for both known and unknown media and overspeed on or off? Thanks for any tips :slight_smile:

Why don’t you just start with the default settings and see how that works.

When you have familiarized yourself with that, then you can start fiddling with settings you don’t fully understand. :bigsmile:

This is solid advice for most tehcnical gizmos btw - feel free to re-use it.

yea I will be fiddling around probably :slight_smile:
I was just wondering what some people have discovered by fiddling around and to see if I get the same results. I have noticed when burning at 8x speed with WOPC on and Solid burn and overspeed off that it hickups down to about 7.5 or 7.6 speed every now and then and I hear the drive make some slight noise as that happens, is that normal? my plextor 716-A just stays on 8X burn steady so it has me slightly concerned. Burning the same Verbatim MCC 003 media

I have noticed when burning at 8x speed with WOPC on and Solid burn and overspeed off that it hickups down to about 7.5 or 7.6 speed every now and then and I hear the drive make some slight noise as that happens, is that normal?

Yes, that is the WOPC technology. As it analyzes the writing quality on-the-fly, it will reduce writing speed every now and then to ensure lowest errors possible.
When using Verbatim media or other top-quality media, it is possible to turn off WOPC, which will result in a constant 8x burn, but it may increase jitter or errors.

Hi :slight_smile:
Different manufacturers have different approches. What you’ve experienced with the BenQ is of little concern really.
Manual for QSuite.
SolidBurn A little info from Philips.
As DrageMester suggests the best thing is to try it out for yourself.

ah ok so it is the WOPC that is slowing down down my burn every now and then to make sure highest quality burn… not so concerning then knowing that is what is happening :slight_smile: thank you.
has anyone noticed that solidburn actually helps with known media? I will try to mess around with things myself just wondering if anyone that is reading this has done such a test. thanks everyone!

bevster have you tried clicking on SolidBurn in my previous post? That might help you.

thank you Zebadee I did read about it on your link. Seems like Solidburn would be best to leave “on” for known and unknown media since you never know if the quality of your blank DVD’s may fluctuate and solidburn would compensate for that… Am I way off on that assumption?

Also when scanning my newly burned DVD’s with Nero CD-DVD Speed I have been getting this error right at the end of the scan, at 99%… Not everytime but every other time it seems like. ““ERROR! NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION (000000)”” then after I click ok on that error it brings up the scan statistics window. Doesnt seem like a bad scan because just before it fails I am usually still at 97% and higher quality. Anyone else get this error message?

No your quite right about the conclusion that in this day & age (due to cost sutting) it’s probably wise to have SolidBurn enabled for both known/unknown media.
Before running CD/DVDSpeeds Disc Quality, are you ejecting then reinserting disc. If not try it & let us know the result.

This happens if you burn the disc, but don’t eject it, then scan.

Just browsing through. I wonder what was going through my mind to put “cost sutting”.
Answers on a postcard.

ok yes I have not been ejecting the CD most of the times before I scan so that must be the problem. Thank you

As for the Solidburn I will turn it on now for both known and unknown media… because of “cost sutting” lol… thank you :slight_smile:

First burn for YUDEN000 T03 at 16x. Burn Time = 6.14.

The settings were : WOPC = On; SB = On/On; OS = On.

If your burns :clap: continue like this. That retail disguised as a oem will be returned pretty sharply, no doubt. :bigsmile:
BTW Did this drive come from komplett.

Yes, it did come from Komplett.

It was the only “Retail” model I could find at the time - or so I thought. :sad:

I believe this to be true.

The downside to “solidburn for known media” is that it can take up to 4 discs before the burn is optimized for that media.

So for people who only buy small numbers of discs at a time, smartburn may present more problems than its solves (at least for known media). For people who buy 50 or 100 discs at a time, solidburn is a great feature (IMHO).

[quote]I have noticed when burning at 8x speed with WOPC on and Solid burn and overspeed off that it hickups down to about 7.5 or 7.6 speed every now and then and I hear the drive make some slight noise as that happens, is that normal?

[/quote]
I too have just got my first BenQ DW1655 and have noticed that flickering sound and the dip in speed (from 8x down to like anywhere between 6-7.5x). Was worried about it and thank god I found this thread to settle my mind :slight_smile:

Also, when I bought the burner, I only got Nero software with it, but no QSuite that all of you are talking about? Anyone know if I can get it from the BenQ site or something?

Thanks

yes you can

ftp://ftp.benq-eu.com/dvd-rw/software/qscan/qsuite_v2.1_setup.zip

With known media that is of questionable quality, then yes, SolidBurn can help.