DW1655 can't burn Verbatim 2.4x +R DL @ 6x?

Is it true BenQ drives will not overspeed Dual Layer Discs? I have overspeed enabled but it seems to work only with single layer discs. Can anyone confirm this?

The 1650/55 burns MKM 001 at 2.4x. While some have suggested this was a mistake by the firmware makers, I think it may be deliberate.

I don’t know if it’s a recent development but it seems MKM 001’s are more fussy lately and I get better and more consistent burns at 2.4x (on any of my burners).

You can burn MKM 003 at 8x in the 1650/55. These are the 8x rated Verbatim disks that are more expensive.

Yeah, talk about fussy. These MKM 001 2.4x coastered 3 times when burned on my Plextor 760A drive, but then again, I wasn’t burning at 2.4x (burned @ 6x). Weird thing is I never had this problem with the previous batch of 2.4x burning at 6x on my 760A.

I recently bought a spindle of 20 2.4x Verbatims on Newegg. Bad batch maybe? Burns at 4x just fine tho.

I used to burn them at 8x in my Nec, but now that I’ve started scanning everything I burn, I’ve backed down the speed to 2.4 or 4x in my Pioneer 111d.

8x burns range from okay to poor. 2.4x (and maybe 4x) are okay to good. Whatever the reasons, I’ll stick with the slower burn speed until MKM 003’s become cheap.

Hm, can be a result of anything… starting with poor ide cables and psu.

I’ve no real result differences when burning them either at 2.4x, 4x, 6x or 8x.

chef, you can burn 2.4x Verbatim DVD+R DL at 4x, 6x and 8x?

Yes, but with Pioneer burners, also with the Samsung 163 SATA drive.

Maybe you could use ala’s wonderful MCSE tool with your 1655…

agent009 made a nice guide on how to swap MKM001 using MCSE. Also includes a nice scan of 1655 burned @8x.

Step-by-step guide to 8x burning of 2.4x Verbatim +R DL media on DW1650/1655

Oh nm then, I though you had a BenQ 1655 drive.

@zevia, thanks for the link to the guide! I didn’t know it existed if you didn’t tell me about it. This is just what I’ve been looking for!