DW1650, Solidburn & MCC 004 Problem

vbimport

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem when burning MCC 004 discs (Verbatim) using BCIC firmware.

Solidburn settings used - non activated for supported discs, activated for un-known discs and learned discs showing 0.

When a MCC 004 disc is burnt, which shows as supported in the info tab of QSuite, after the burn is finished if Solidburn is checked the learned discs now show as 1 with MCC 004 quoted in the Media Information field :confused:

It the learned media is now cleared and Solidburn changed to non activated for both supported and un-known discs following a MCC 004 burn the learned discs remain at 0 and the Media Information field still empty.

This would appear to suggest that even though QSuite shows the media as supported Solidburn is treating MCC 004 as an un-known disc!

The other interesting thing is that with Solidburn non activated for supported discs and activated for un-known discs the burn speeds initially seem slower than if Solidburn is non activated for both supported and un-known discs. Presumably because Solidburn incorrectly needs a few burns to learn the media.

I have also tried this with Verbatim T03 discs which appear to work how you would expect ie. with Solidburn showing supported disc as non activated and un-known showing activated, following a T03 burn learned disc remain at 0 and the Media Information field blank.

Update:

Have just tried the same experiment using BCFC and the problem is still evident but not to the same extent.

The interesting thing is that using CD-DVD Speed for test burns (at X12), if the disc burns at X12 with Solidburn set to non activated for supported discs and activated for un-known discs no entries are made. However, if the disc burns at X4 (even though CD-DVD Speed was set to X12) an entry is made. :confused:

From 5 test burns using BCFC and MCC 004 1 burnt at X4 and made a learned disc entry. 4 burnt at X12 and made no entry.

Using BCIC 3 burnt at X4 and made entries and 2 at X12 with no entry.

It could therefore possibly be a firmware related issue and linked to the drive not properly recognising MCC 004 media when starting a burn (even though it has previously recognised the media correctly) ie. treats it as a new un-known disc on each burn and thus needs to create a writing strategy (even if one already exists).

This could explain why some people are experiencing slow burns with MCC 004 and why some earlier firmwares don’t seem quite as bad!?!

It also appeares that some batches of MCC 004 are not as bad as others. The above tests were made using batch - ZD7595-DVR-T47D. I have tried a few burns with other batches and although the problem still occurs during a X4 burn the majority of discs will burn at X12.

Ok I see, there is no problem here, the behavior is quite normal. Reason you burn with 4x. Sure your firmware (no matter what) has writing strategies for MCC004. But not for 4x, so when you burn at 4x the burner creates a 4x strategie itself. For most 16x DVD+R Benq has only writing strategies for 8x and faster. And there is no reason to burn MCC004 slower than 8x.

Interesting quirk, to be added to the former ones of the 1650 with firmwares BCFC and above. :a

@[B]Burning Fish[/B]: I can certify that BCDC, at least, has a proper 4X writing strategy for MCC004. Don’t know about other f/w versions though (haven’t tested).

This new quirk is another reason for me to recommend exclusively BCDC for trouble-free operation with the 1650! :rolleyes:

In my experience:

• BCFC and BCHC can suddenly start to burn MCC004 @4X exclusively whatever the speed selections
  • BCFC, BCHC and BCIC have a broken WOPC operation for CMCMAGE01.

It’s pretty clear to me that Benq engineers have been making a sloppy job with firmware upgrades since the Benq/LiteOn fusion. They improved the quality with some MIDs but messed with the general usability. :a

@[B]keyap[/B]: you can probably get rid of your issue by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Qsuite
  2. Downgrade to BCDC
  3. Re-install Qsuite.
    There is no DVDR MID that BCDC can’t burn with good quality (I stick with BCDC though I’m picky with burning quality, this should make you feel confident :wink: ) and further f/w improvements don’t make up for the annoying issues they brought IMO.

Thanks for the replies :flower:

@Burning Fish: I can certify that BCDC, at least, has a proper 4X writing strategy for MCC004. Don’t know about other f/w versions though (haven’t tested).

@keyap: you can probably get rid of your issue by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Qsuite
  2. Downgrade to BCDC
  3. Re-install Qsuite.

If I understand correctly with solidburn set to non-activated for supported and activated for un-known discs, by following points 1-3 as BCDC has a writing strategy at X4, no entries should be made.

I’ve given it a try and the problem is still there :confused:

The only way it appears you can stop this from happening is to set solidburn for un-known discs to non-activated :a

Could this therefore be somehow true ??

It could therefore possibly be a firmware related issue and linked to the drive not properly recognising MCC 004 media when starting a burn (even though it has previously recognised the media correctly) ie. treats it as a new un-known disc on each burn and thus needs to create a writing strategy (even if one already exists).