DW1650 Producing very inconsistent and poor burns with Yuden000 T02 :(

vbimport

I’m not quite sure what’s happening here, but my DW1650 (unlike my 1655) will sometimes produce good burns and sometimes produce very poor burns with Yuden000 T02 I bought at rima.

Here are my settings:

BCIC Firmware
solidburn enabled for supported and unsupported media
WOPC on
booktype to DVD-ROM

They are exactly the same settings I’m using on my DW1655, except for the firmware of course (BCGB). The 1655 gives very consistent burns. Both drives are in the same computer and the 1650 is set to master while the 1655 is set to slave.

I initially didn’t get a good burn and I thought it was because the drive was “learning” the media, so I gave it a few more chances and burns seemed to improve for a moment, but then it got worse again–especially the very last burn I made.

I’ve placed the scans in the order that I burned them for convenience. It doesn’t make sense why burns would get better, then worse, and back and forth. Also, the spikes around 3.7 - 3.8 GB seem to be a defect in the my batch (TG000041) because every single disc that I’ve burned has that spike and it can sometimes account for 100 total PIF–or more.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone had any ideas on how I can improve or at at the very least, have consistent burns with my 1650.

1. Downgrade to BCDC on the 1650. BCIC is known to have some quirks, and BCDC is the most trouble-free firmware.

2. Turn off SB for known media. Solidburn isn’t really needed for T02, since the built-in strategy for it is perfect in the 1640/1650/1655. Plus, you’ve already got a 1655, so you didn’t need SB turned on for both. Leave the 1655 as a SB ON/ON drive, and let the 1650 be a SB OFF/ON drive. Then you can compare the two to see whether SB really helps with popular MIDs that already have good firmware support. In my honest opinion you should never need SB with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Hi Natureboy:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those burns except the last one, that could be a fingerprint of a dye spot. Some dye lots are better than others but those burns (except the last are just fine.)

[QUOTE=negritude;2071017]1. Downgrade to BCDC on the 1650. BCIC is known to have some quirks, and BCDC is the most trouble-free firmware.

1. Turn off SB for known media. Solidburn isn’t really needed for T02, since the built-in strategy for it is perfect in the 1640/1650/1655. Plus, you’ve already got a 1655, so you didn’t need SB turned on for both. Leave the 1655 as a SB ON/ON drive, and let the 1650 be a SB OFF/ON drive. Then you can compare the two to see whether SB really helps with popular MIDs that already have good firmware support. In my honest opinion you should never need SB with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.[/QUOTE]

Wow, lots of helpful information there. Thanks–I’ll give those two suggestions a try when I burn my other animated series set. Hopefully something will click and it’ll make me a proud owner :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2071059]Hi Natureboy:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those burns except the last one, that could be a fingerprint of a dye spot. Some dye lots are better than others but those burns (except the last are just fine.)[/QUOTE]

Do you think I’m overly picky here because these scans seem to be worse than my 1655, which usually results in around 100-300 total PIF with a max PIF of 4-5. The scans I posted were only about half of the discs that I recently burned.

In my own opinion, it seems that some of my scans are bit worse than most of the scans that others on the forum have posted on the 1650 thread, especially with T02 media. Shouldn’t a 1650 + T02 yield exceptional scans?

The 1650 and 1655 are identical drives except for the lightscribe feature…with the correct settings, the 1650 should be able to create burns similar to the 1655, right???