DW1650 and Vista issue?

My Home rig (see sig below) was dual booting Vista Ultimate and XP Pro, both 32-bit. The two hard drives and the Samsung burner are SATA devices, and the Benq is IDE.

Strange thing is, the Benq rips just as well under Vista as XP, but I can only get it to burn at 2.4x under Vista, no matter what media use, or which burning app I use (Nero, IMGBurn, DVD Decrypter). DMA is active (Mode-2). The Samsung burns at its rated max (media willing, of course).

I recently wiped the XP Installation and installed Vista Business 64-bit just to experiment with a 64-bit OS (and take advantage of the full 4GB of RAM :stuck_out_tongue: ). Same thing here with a 2.4x max burn speed for the Benq. Windows sees the drive as capable of burning at higher speeds (according to Everest), so it must be some hardware related issue with Vista (both 32 and 64 bit).

Anyone else using a 1650 under Vista and either having or NOT having this issue?

I have a 1655 under both Vista 32 & 64, no issues at all burning at 16x on Verb media.

What motherboard do you have issues with, it could be that you have a compatability problem with the chipset drivers and something else on the same channel as the BenQ. I know if I have my old CD writer connected as a slave I get very poor write speeds (in both XP and Vista)

I have an Abit KN9 nForce4 board. The Benq is the only IDE device I have, everything else is SATA.

Either update or remove your nForce IDE drivers as these are known to cause problems. The newer ones may however work.

Solved my own problem, and figured I’d pass on the info.

Well, I had Ultra ISO installed, and it had a virtual drive installed as drive L. My STA drive was set as drive M, and the IDE as drive N for OS purposes. When burning an audio CD today, I noticed that Nero had listed my Benq as drive L, rather than N, but the burn went fine. Curious, I uninstalled Ultra ISO, and found that not only did Nero now recognize the drive as N and burn at “full speed”, but so did IMGBurn.

Clearly, it was an issue with Ultra ISO’s virtual drive that was messing up the “real” physical drive. Problem solved.