DW1640 OEM vs Retail

I understand the lack of software for OEM. Is it true that Benq puts out separate firmwares for OEM vs. Retail? What about warrantee? Any thoughts on purchasing OEM vs Retail I should know. I have owned Plextor’s for most of the time…and OEM or Retail…warrantee is the same as is the firmware…

Thanks

Bob

Hello.

As far as I know, starting with the 1640, BenQ only releases “B” FWs.

For example, see this link: http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=18367&downloadclass=Driver&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

• Jie

Yoiu get Nero with the drive in all cases AFAIK, but the bulk and OEM (not sure there’s a difference between the 2 actually) Doesn’t include BenQs utilities. But they can be downloaded for free from their www so who cares. The retail drive has BenQ written on the front of the drive, while my bulk doesn’t. You also get 2(!) screws with the retail, along with a IDE cable. About the firmware, at present time they haven’t shipped any drives with ‘G’ firmware (again AFAIK), but that might change.

Q.

I didn’t get a cable with my Retail drive, but I did get 2 screws.
I am returning my retail drive and getting the OEM just as the
associate at CC said I should if I decided I wanted the OEM instead.
$30 makes me want the OEM.

Mark

the retail drive aslo has a different face plate. retail has the old style high gloss finish while the OEM is a solid dull black.

Well my OEM Black drive just arrived 5 mins ago and i can tell you its just a brown box with nero + the drive ofcourse :slight_smile: all you need really

only $4 diff from OEM to Retail at my shop, $79 AUD for retail in beige, i prefer beige over black (which was only colour in OEM) so the retail was just a bonus. And also, 2 yr warranty card came in the package :slight_smile:

Can someone plz tell me if there is any difference in the packing of the Retail and the OEM.

Do they both come in the same box from outside.

BTW is it sure that Benq is not written on the Front of the OEM??

As mentioned above:

Yes

No

Yes

Also, unless they have changed from what was done with the 1620, the black faceplates for OEM and Retail are the same dull nameless black.

I’m not sure about that. :stuck_out_tongue:

At The Dangerous Brothers you will find GSHB, for sure released by BenQ.

As mentioned above:

Yes

No

Yes

Also, unless they have changed from what was done with the 1620, the black faceplates for OEM and Retail are the same dull nameless black.

Pray plz could you elaborate and tell me the differnce in packing of the box.

And the drive that i have has Benq Written on the front.

But there is no 1640.

The Retail version should come with a regular cardboard box with printing on the outside and color graphics. The OEM version can come in a plain brown box with no printing or in bubble wrap with no box.

BenQ puts the model number on the label on top of the drive. I cannot recall ever seeing any drive with the actual model on the faceplate. Maybe Pioneer, but the lack of model number is normal for BenQ and most other drives.

And I just proved myself wrong. Here is an image on a black BenQ faceplate for the 1620 with the name. A 1640 box will be different of course. One other thing, for the 1620 the button was different as well. That will likely be the case for the 1640.

The Retail version should come with a regular cardboard box with printing on the outside and color graphics. The OEM version can come in a plain brown box with no printing or in bubble wrap with no box.

BenQ puts the model number on the label on top of the drive. I cannot recall ever seeing any drive with the actual model on the faceplate. Maybe Pioneer, but the lack of model number is normal for BenQ and most other drives.

And I just proved myself wrong. Here is an image on a black BenQ faceplate for the 1620 with the name. A 1640 box will be different of course. One other thing, for the 1620 the button was different as well. That will likely be the case for the 1640.

thanks for the description.

Relieved to know that my version is retail. It had the software and the Qsuite and the IDE cable but no extra screws.
Also it was in a proper box with Colours etc…

BTW maybe i am crazy but i might go in for another one for my AMD system when and if the prices come down.

What is the price of Retail black 1640 in the US?

Thanks,

@ imjimmy, jan70 posted a good “First look BenQ DW-1640” preview… :smiley:

At newegg they cost ~$46 (OEM).

Thanks for the correction, pinto2.

• Jie

No big deal Ma_Jie. :slight_smile:

Sorry for bad link :doh: .
Here is aworking one; http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/193.

Is the OEM firmware G or B???

Thanks

Bob

thanks…

That was stupid i shd have gone thru that before putting up questions…

BTW, as far as i can see all the stuff that is extra in retail is nothing great. Most of it is free…

The only difference being the retail drives have 1 yr extra warranty.

I was wondering if there wud be any performance difference b/w the Retail and the OEM.

For instance would there be a higher probability of a OEM being a DOA or failing after sometime leading to a RMA , as compared to it’s retail counterpart.

Thanks,

Are there hacked firmwares avail for the benQ 1640?, i a newb here but own NEC and Plextor drives for the past 2-3 yrs.

Got to be wondering why you need hacked frimware? Its a BenQ! The fireware it comes with is very good, gets updated regularly and has book type setting built in :wink: [And very very nicely rips at 16x]

And i could have sworn i got 4 screws with my 1640 but then again i did go retail, maybe thats the difference :flower: