DW1620 - Essential WHAT's - Please read

vbimport

1. What firmware ?

I’m currently using the latest T9. Some people expressed their preference for P9 or even the older M9. What firmware are you using ?

1. What software ?

So far I’ve only used the included RecordNow for data backups and I’m currently trying out DVD Decrypter to backup DVD5 discs in ISO mode. I like the ripping but I’m not sure if this software is very reliable for burning. What burning software do you use with the DW1620 ?

1. What media ?

I’ve read several posts in the media section and the media topic but came to no conclusions whatsoever. Right now I’m doing my own testing with several different brands using DVD Decrypter to burn (and those results are what make me suspicious about DVD Decrypter burning reliability, too).

TDK +R 8x (TDK-002-00): Good
MMore -R 8x (FUJIFILM03): Good
Verbatim +R 4x (MCC-002-00): Mixed/Good
Samsung Pleomax +R 4x (OPTODISC-OR4-00): Mixed/Crap
Sony +R 8x (SONY-D11-00): Crap
Emtec +R 4x (VDSPMSAB-001-01): Crap

1. B7T9 and B7P9. Also see my sig if changes in the future :smiley:
    2). Nero CDSpeed to test. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for movies. Nero Burning ROM and Roxio for backups.
    3). Excellent @16x: YUDEN000T02, MCC004. All others are very good to excellent depending on speed. I don’t use crap, bought only for testing. :wink:

I have the Sony +R 8x… they work great. Just my .02

I use DVD Decrypter to burn all image files. Right hand clicking works better than with Nero; DVD Decrypter recognizes more file types. I have not noticed any problem with my burns.

1. B7P9.
  2. AnyDVD with CloneDVD for movies, Nero Burning ROM for data, Nero CD-DVD Speed for testing.
    3)DVD+R: TDK and/or Fujifilm YUDEN000 T02, Verbatim MCC 003 & MCC 004 (all highly recommended quality media, I prefer 12x burning with all of them)

DVD-R: Fujifilm TYG02 (highly recommended quality media, I again prefer to burn it at 12x speed), Fujifilm Fujifilm03 (made in Taiwan, people say it sucks but it’s been good for me at 8x burning), Memorex branded RITEKG05 (many say it’s bad media but mine have had good results at 8x burning)

Unfortunately I can’t edit it, but please consider my above table changed to:

TDK +R 8x (TDK-002-00): Good
Verbatim +R 4x (MCC-002-00): Good
Memorex +R 8x (CMC MAG E01): Good
Sony +R 8x (SONY-D11-00): Average/Crap
Samsung Pleomax +R 4x (OPTODISC-OR4-00): Average/Crap
MMore -R 8x (FUJIFILM03): Really Crap, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Reported to work better in B7P9 though.
Emtec +R 4x (VDSPMSAB-001-01): Forget about it

As I was previously using a defective drive, apparently. The new one I replaced it with seems much more on the level. I’m also testing the media properly with Nero CD Speed now.

And why doesn’t DVDR media have the media id code they’re using printed out in the box ? How are people supposed to know what they’re buying ??? Sheesh.

Now that I’ve got the basics, it’s my turn to cross my fingers like everyone else and pray for all my backups not being unreadable in two years from now. What a mad world.

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Kweldood wrote

Now that I’ve got the basics, it’s my turn to cross my fingers like everyone else and pray for all my backups not being unreadable in two years from now. What a mad world.

Welcome to the mad world of DVD BURNING!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :bigsmile:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

Yeah, that says it all. :bigsmile:

Record Now burns slightly better than DVDdecryptor but the difference is nearly unnoticable. Either works better than Nero! Say, do you have DVDshrink? It is a fine partner to either decryptor or Record Now.

I used cloneDVD to backup The Forgotten. When I tested the quality on that disc I got a 99% at max speed. I have never gotten a scan that good. Normally about 97%. Unfortunately I didn’t save the scan. It was on TDK (TY media) discs made in Japan from Best Buy. Normally I use DVDdecrypter to write. Maybe Clone DVD writes better than DVDdecrypter?

Or maybe you just got lucky with that particular disc. :slight_smile:
You should probably have a more significant test sample than one before drawing conclusions like that.

CloneDVD2/AnyDVD to for movies. Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.6 for burning other stuff. Nero CD/DVD Speed to test. Media I prefer is DVD+R media nowadays since the burners seem to have a preference towards it and I love the RicohJPNR01 4x Ritek DVD+R’s… they burn great at 8x or 12x although I keep them 8x for stability reasons. I also have started using Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R with a media ID of Yuden000 T02. I keep them at 8x speed for burning as well even though they over-burn awesomely at 12x I’d still rather have a quality burn over a fast one! :slight_smile:

Your right Xterminator. One disc can hardly be enough evidence. I’ll try some other tests as well. So far I have only used Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R with a media ID of Yuden000 T02. Usually TDK branded (MIJ).