Had the pc run all night and let the BenQ write test erase a DVD+RW the whole time.
What I see with the new BenQ:
- DVD-RW writing is much worse than that of my LG GSA-4163B (higher PIE/PIF rate, jitter > 12% and very different all over the disc, had <9% when it came from the LG)
- DVD-RW erased in BenQ cannot be used anymore in LG
- DVD-RW written in BenQ can sometimes not be read by LG and never be erased by the LG. Also strange "ring" in the writing area.
- a DVD+RW I erased fully in the BenQ makes the LG hang on detection of disc info, too. But finally it detects it. Well, until now.
- an empty DVD-R sometimes makes the drive blink and not stop anymore until I press eject. No eject, though, have to go to "My computer" which hangs for a while and while then allow me to right-click and "eject"
All this didnt happen with the BenQ before (the one I sent back). So I had a defective BenQ exchanged for a bad/partly defective one. Grrr.
That -RW appears to be really dead now, only the BenQ can write and erase it anymore (with bad jitter, again).
I will check other possible causes as well, but why should the LG work really good if there was something fundamental wrong with OS or software?
And I will try to reflash the drive, maybe there was some problem.