DW-U18A sony dvd/cd writer unit

hi,

can anybody tell me how to install this unit, please?

i have a pentium iii tower which already has an ATi dvd-rom installed within it, with what looks like two free slots above it.

i notice the sony writer has a long line a vaguely mini scart-type sockets at rear of the unit - where do i find the plugs/connections, though - somewhere neatly tied within the tower (i doubt) or do i need to purchase plugs, cables for this device, and install them first?

you can tell i am a complete beginner here - but i have ventured into the tower’s interior on several previous occasions, and am looking forward to getting to grips with the DW-U18A.

many thanks + many most sincere genuflections!

:bow:

m6

The below text is thanks to G@M3FR3@K

Installing a new drive into your computer is a pretty straightforward job. Open up your computer case and take a look at how your current DVD-ROM is attached to your computer. Generally speaking a computer has two so-called IDE controllers. You can identify these by following the big (often grey) flat cable that is attached to your hard disk(s) and DVD-ROM drive. They will lead down to your motherboard. Note: your hard disk is always attached to the primary IDE port on your motherboard, optical drives should be located on the secondary IDE port.

You will probably have one of these two situations:

1. Your DVD-ROM drive and hard disk are attached to the same cable.
  2. Your hard disk is attached to a seperate cable and so is your DVD-ROM.

If the second scenario is the case then take out the DVD-ROM drive and the flat cable. In general it’s best to set the CD-RW burner to master and the DVD-ROM to slave device. In IDE systems there is always a Master device and a Slave device. The settings of the drive are controlled via small so-called jumpers on the back of the drive. These a small plastic clips that fit over two metal pins. The master and slave settings can be found on the lable on top of the drive or on the back of the drive.

Set your CD-RW to Master and your DVD-ROM to slave. Build in both drives and re-attach the flatcable. The master device should be the last device on the cable. Often it will also work if you set the master drive before the slave drive but it’s recommended to us this:

|-------------|—|
Motherboard - Slave - Master

Now turn your computer back on and see if the devices are recognized correctly. If they are then you’re done. When Windows XP loads you should check the Device Manager (Control Panel -> System) and check the Secondary IDE channel properties. For best performance both devices should be using UDMA mode 2 (provided of course that both drives supports this but all modern drives do).

Please report back if you need more help.

wow - this is great!

:slight_smile:

i visited the sony tech/help site and the ‘18’ wasn’t even listed!

will update

many thanks Womble

• and G@M3FR3@K

bests,

m6

Hi / am just about to install the u18a when noticed there are 2 scenarios listed in the above instructions (which are clear and excellent). The second scenario is fully explained, but what happens if scenario no.1 is the case, please - the DVD-ROM drive and hard disk are attached to the same cable?

many thanks,

kr236rk

ps - this is m6 under a different log-in: lost password . . .

:expressionless:

update:-

the flatcable appears to link all other devices in one go, with a spare plug last of all.

presumably to add the CD-RW (top plug) you leap-frog, ending up with plugged-in devices in this order? -

CD-RW(master) > DVD-ROM(slave) > … > Hard Drive -

• with any other devices linked to the flatcable inbetween Hard Drive and ROM?

question is this, though:

all other devices are powered by dc input plugs, and there is no spare plug for any extra device - ie, the CD-RW …

how can i proceed, then ?

please advise

thanks,

kr

Hi there kr236fk,

If you want your old username back the contact Da_Taxman and he should be able to reset your old username password. Just give him your old username to track down.

Looking at what you have written here "CD-RW(master) > DVD-ROM(slave) > … > Hard Drive - " I am not quite sure I understand this. You can only have two devices on one cable. One Master and one Slave.

So you should currently have,
Motherboard Primary -> Hard Drive (Master) -> CD-RW (Slave)
Motherbaord Secondary -> Nothing.

Therefore. If you currently have the DVD and hard drive attatched to the same cable then you can use the Secondary IDE Channel on your motherboard for the new DVD drive.

All you have to do is located the Secondary port (will be right next to the Primary one with the cable coming out of it) plug your IDE cable into it if there isn’t one already coming out and attatch the end to the DVD drive. Because your DVD drive will be the only thing attached to the cable make sure it is set to Master on the jumpers.

If you have no spare IDE cable then you will need to buy one.

Finally power. If you have no spare power plugs for the DVD drive to use you are going to have to buy a power splitter cable. Basically it plugs into a power plug and then has two (or more) cables coming off of that which you can now use.

hopefully that covers it. If not then please post back.

Hi Womble

you replied -

"Looking at what you have written here “CD-RW(master) > DVD-ROM(slave) > … > Hard Drive - " I am not quite sure I understand this. You can only have two devices on one cable. One Master and one Slave”.

that’s exactly what i thought, but the flatcable seems to have other flat plugs on it which link, for example, the zip drive - no doubt all will be revealed when i unplug this cable . . . :eek:

“If you have no spare power plugs for the DVD drive to use you are going to have to buy a power splitter cable. Basically it plugs into a power plug and then has two (or more) cables coming off of that which you can now use.”

that sounds like what i was looking for - with thanks! :slight_smile:

‘All you have to do is locate the Secondary port (will be right next to the Primary one with the cable coming out of it) plug your IDE cable into it if there isn’t one already coming out and attatch the end to the DVD drive. Because your DVD drive will be the only thing attached to the cable make sure it is set to Master on the jumpers’.

the dvd is already set to Master, yes. i change this to Slave, when i install the sony cd-rw - and then set that to Master?

also, when you say ‘ports’, do you mean ports on the mother board or ports on the back of the devices, dvd-rom, cd-rw ?

sincere genuflections -

kr

Port was bad wording. Sorry. The one on the Motherboard is the one I am talking about.

This is how your computer should be setup when finished.
Motherboard Primary -> Hard Drive (Master) -> CD-RW (Slave)
Motherboard Secondary -> DVD-RW (Master)

Thanks Womble - will update

kr

Hi,

Résumé

I already have a CD/DVD Rom in my pc, plus Floppy and Zip drives

I want to install a Sony DVD/RW

My motherboard is: Asus P3V133, PC133

Both motherboard port / IDE sockets – Primary and Secondary - have flat, grey cable-connected plugs (long + oblong) inserted into them; the Floppy Drive Connector, next to them, is similarly connected; so there is a coiled, compressed bundle of 3 separate, flat cables issuing from these three ports, within the pc tower.

• The motherboard Floppy Drive Connector is a plain grey flat cable with spare long, oblong plug on it.

• Secondary IDE connector socket on motherboard has grey flat cable with purple stripe on one edge issuing from it – it goes to/plugs into,

a) Zip drive, then

b) CD/DVD Rom

The CD/DVD is set to Master.

There does not appear to be a spare long, oblong plug on this flat cable (cos taken up by the Zip?)

• Primary IDE connector socket on motherboard also has the purple stripe (not very helpful) and goes to Hard Drive; it has a spare long, oblong plug on it.

It is not possible to say what the Hard Drive is set to because the socket on it is not marked or labelled; there are two jumpers [ie a double jumper arrangement] in position, one horizontal and one vertically positioned,– the vertical one at extreme left of socket jumping/linking two pegs, and horizontal one beside this on the top row, linking two pegs horizontally.

Recap

• IDE cable from Primary IDE connector has spare long oblong plug on it

• Floppy cable has spare long oblong plug on it

• IDE cable from Secondary IDE connector has two long plugs on it, one inserted into Zip drive and one inserted into CD/DVD Rom

Question

Does this mean i need to sacrifice the Zip drive to use the second connector plug on the Secondary IDE cable for the new DVD/RW?

:eek:

If so, can I connect an external Zip drive to my pc so that I can continue to access the thousands of files I have on 100MB zip disks – and can I use the old zip drive, but USB-attached externally, for this?

thanks,

kr236rk

ps what are the spare plugs on the primary IDE and the Floppy cable for, please?

:confused:

Welcome back.

As far as I can see there is no reason to sacrifice your Zip drive so long as you have a spare connector on your Primary IDE cable. The flat long grey thing is the IDE cable. All you need to do is to set your new DVD drive to Slave and connect it to the spare connection. Your hard drive will (should be) set to master so setting your DVD drive to slave is a must. The setup should look something like this,

Motherboard Primary -> Hard Drive (Master) -> Spare (Will be taken by new DVD drive set to slave.
Motherboard Secondary -> CDRom (Master) -> Zip (Slave)

If you want to know what the jumper settings for your hard drive are for then there is probable a diagram on the manufacture website.

The spare plugs on the cables are simply for extra devices. You can have two Floppy drives if you really want them. Me I hardly even use one these days but keep it around for the just in case senarios.

Hope that helps you out.

thanks womble - that’s brilliant!

will digest and update

a handicap i experience is that my pc manufacturer ‘dan’ went to the wall some years ago, which is a shame because dan appeared to have a good reputation for building solid machines, at the time…

but all in all, excellent sites such as this - with expert advice - keep me afloat!

thanks again,

ric

update

all hail to womble!

thrills’n’spills all the way: i found a spare socket inside the tower, tucked away in the bottom of the cabinet - but there was no way this was going to reach up to the device ports near the top of the tower cabinet; so i plugged the power-splitter into the spare socket which gave me enough wire to play with. so far so good.

:smiley:

unravelling the primary IDE cable i suddenly realised there was no way the spare big plug on it was going to reach up to the dvd rw either; so i had to swop plugs with the hard drive, which shifted the old plug up the cable, in effect. still i had to remove my dvd rom and place it above the dvd/rw, so that the second primary IDE cable plug would reach up to the dvd/rw’s socket.

:rolleyes:

i re-attached the dvd-rom and plugged in the new unit, momentarily panicking when i realised a second lead led from the rom ‘audio out’ to something called the slot 3, PCI expansion card - and there was no spare such lead for the new device (although several spare sockets on the PCI device)…

:eek:

it didn’t seem to matter, though - when i booted up the system all the right lights came on and xp recognised the dvd/rw - it said so: by name! but windows wanted to configure the sony with its own wizard, which i stopped. i checked the device manager:

primary IDE = multi-word DMA mode 2
secondary IDE = multi-word DMA mode 1

is this okay?

:confused:

i popped on nero 6 instead of letting the windows wizard do its thing. this works because i have burned several tracks onto a memorex no.1 700MB 1x-4x CD: frighteningly good quality for someone who’s come to this technology straight from planet analogue.

:cool:

so many thanks, womble - it all works!

:wink: