Dw-g120a10?

Hello
i’de like to buy Sony DW-G120A and crossflash it to Lite-on 165P6S

but the only drive i can find its this “DW-G120A10” is it same ?
i can find the “DW-G120AB2” too but i think its same with Black panel…

but i cant tell if those drives are DW-G120A same ?
can anyone tell ?

I would think they are DW-G120A’s. Where do you see these numbers specified? The label on mine says GW-120A-BR.

here :
http://www.plonter.com/detail.tmpl?sku=DWG120AB2&cart=1155158544574823&lang=heb

dunno what it means ?

Hi,

DW-G120A, that’s what matters, at least up to now. Other letters behind that only denote sales package (bulk, Brown Box, Retail Box) and bezel color.
Feel free to have a look at www.sonyisstorage.com There you can get all information about that drive.

Michael

so i should be afraid of ordering it ?
cuz i wanna crossfalsh it and dont want to have problems

Why not ordering an original Liteon instead?

cuz the latest liteon here is 160p6s…
dunno why

why u asking ?

That’s the OEM version, probably with MYRx firmware. My DW-G120A-BR has MYSx firmware, where BR stands for “branded” (with the Sony logo on front of the drawer).

Note that crossflashing to LiteOn firmware voids your warranty, that’s why you’re better of with a LiteOn, if you want to use that firmware in the first place. And if you don’t need DVD-RAM, the 160P6S is just as good as the 165P6S.

Because getting an original Litey is hassle free, and you do not void your warranty because of crossflashing.

Michael

how the place where i bought can know if i crossfashed ?
i can always reflash the original right ?

and u meant its the DW-G120AB with OEM version ? the 2 is nothing special ?
i will be able to crossflash?

I doubt that. According to Sony website, MYS* firmwares are for OEM drives.

My DW-G120A-BR has MYSx firmware, where BR stands for “branded” (with the Sony logo on front of the drawer).
Mine too :slight_smile: It came with MYS2 firmware, although Sony states, that MYR* firmware is indended to be used with -BR version. Nevertheless, MYR3 could be flashed without patching on that drive :bigsmile:

Note that crossflashing to LiteOn firmware voids your warranty, that’s why you’re better of with a LiteOn, if you want to use that firmware in the first place. And if you don’t need DVD-RAM, the 160P6S is just as good as the 165P6S.
1000% agreed :iagree:

Michael

but i still dont get it
the AB2 is AB and the 2 is the box or domething like ?

I don’t know Sony’s suffix numbering system, but both drives you’re looking at are DW-G120’s, so they are a rebadged LiteOn SOHW-165P6S and can be crossflashed as such. However, I don’t recommend crossflashing if you intend to claim warranty should the drive be defective (if it fails after crossflashing, you might not be able to flash it back anyway).

It’s your money, and your call. :wink:

Is it so difficult to visit www.sonyisstorage.com ?

Taken from there for the OEM version:

Drive Variations:
Without RAM support =
DWQ120A10 – Pearl White Bezel
DWQ120AB2 – Black Bezel
DWQ120AWG – White Grey Bezel
DWQ120ASV – Silver Bezel
DWQ120AEN – Black Bezel with Sony Logo design.

With RAM Support =
DWG120A10 – Pearl White Bezel
DWG120AB2 – Black Bezel
DWG120AWG – White Grey Bezel
DWG120ASV – Silver Bezel

In addition, there are DWG120A-BR (Brown Box, “Semi-Retail”) and DWG120A-BC (Full Retail)

Michael

Hi,

It seems, you need a cup of coffee :wink: Of course, you meant SHM-165P6S :bigsmile:

Michael

i cant get it here, and i need the DVD-RAM.
and it cost here about 30$ so it not big lose :slight_smile:

ide go for the DW-G120AB2
And Mciahel, sorry, i didnt notice that OEM version, thanks!

I stand corrected, Herr Meister! :bow: :bigsmile:
This sure clears it up, I had no idea they listed all iterations on the website.

Greetz

Hi,

Well, I did have a look prior posting, and it really took some time to find out. Unfortunately, Sony website is poorly designed, so I couldn’t put a link here.

Greetz, too :slight_smile:

Michael