DVR108, problems burning 90 min CD-R's

Hi, does anyone know what the compatability of the DVR-108 is like with “long play” CD-R media. I’ve got a bunch of 90 minute media here that used to burn ok with my old lite-on drives but my Pioneer 108 doesn’t seem to like them. Is there a known issue with this drive and CD-R media larger than 80 min?

They are way out of CD specs, that’s the reason.

Maybe you could burn them up to 89mins, if ever.

Just do a create disc test with Nero CD DVD Speed.

Yeah I know that, but all my old liteon drives used to burn them without any problems.

Maybe you could burn them up to 89mins, if ever.

No they all seem to fail at about the same point, about 90% into the burn so it looks like about the 80min mark or soon there after. It’s not like it’s having any difficulties with the burn, speed makes no difference and it’s just crusing along until it hit a certain percent then nero suddenly aborts with a “logical block address failure” or something like that.

I’m just wondering if it could be a bug in nero6? All the previous occausions that I burnt these it was with nero5 using my old computer (which had a plain liteon 48x24x48 CD burner). At this point I’m still not certain that it’s ultimately a fundamental limitation of the drive of if it’s more just software or firemware related. I was hoping to find other users who’d been down the same path.

From what I remember I think pioneer drives were not good at overburning… My 109 doesn’t like overburning at all. Do you still have your liteon? It might be better at burning the 90 min cdrs…

One thing to remember though is that when you burn these “long play” CD-R’s you’re not really overburning, not in the usual sense at least. You see the long play CD-R’s have a tighter spiral so the data all fits on without it actually burning to any greater radius than a normal CD. It’s true that you need to set the Nero options to allow overburn to be able to use them, but strictly speaking you’re not actually overburning at all.

Do you still have your liteon? It might be better at burning the 90 min cdrs…

Yeah at the moment I’m burning them as “image files” only on the pioneer and then transfering the image over to my old computer for burning on the lite-on. It’s a bit of a pian but it works

The 108 is primarily designed for DVD burning, CD burning although used as a selling point is unfortunately more of an added extra, your old LiteOn should be a far better CD burner than any Pioneer DVD burner, i would recommend burning every CD in your LiteOn and leaving your Pioneer for DVD burning.

As it has already been said 90min CD’s are out of spec and due to the 108’s basic CD writing capability it is obviously struggling with them it is simply a hardware issue