DVR-S18L/218L Firmware Update

vbimport

For the ones who are afraid to admit they own the DVR-S18L/218L drive, were you able to update the firmware to 1.02? I couldn’t get it working from getting the files indicated in the firmware thread. Here are the messages that appeared.

None of the firmware listed is for the 218L. Look again:

There is firmware for the S18L and 218CHV, but not your 218L.

The only way for this to work would be via a cross-flash, and no one has the tools for that task yet.

All of the Drive’s name of S18L, S18FX and 218CHV are shown as 218L.

The flasher seems to have some problems and both my S18L, S18FX and 218CHV can’t firmware update.

[QUOTE=negritude;2474192]
There is firmware for the S18L and 218CHV, but not your 218L.

The only way for this to work would be via a cross-flash, and no one has the tools for that task yet.[/QUOTE]
I had gotten the boxed, retail version of the 218L in the advertised form of S18L and as 2601 indicated, neither firmware update had worked since all the drives identify itself as “218L.” Wonder if QSI knows about this.

It doesn’t matter what QSI knows, since these are “Pioneer” drives.

You should contact Pioneer tech support in your region of the world and talk to them about it.

Sent them an email, let’s see what they’ll respond with…

I also have that burner, and did the fw update to 1.02, but still most of my dvd’s just have the 12x speed to burn…
Mediacodes from mcc004 or ricohjpn r03 04 have only the 12x speed… really strange.
Anyone with the same problem?

How is your 218L connected in your PC, i.e., onboard controller (which chipset) or external card?

[QUOTE=KTL;2475543]How is your 218L connected in your PC, i.e., onboard controller (which chipset) or external card?[/QUOTE]

Connected to the motherboard sata port. ICH10R
I also have the Liteon 20A1S and there’s no problem with selected burn speed.

Well, it seems like the flasher only likes to work in Intel-based chipset. I was able to flash to 1.02 with the work PC. At home, I have the AMD chipset and apparently, it doesn’t like it. Even tried the SiI 3114 controller, but no go.