DVR-K06 firmware bugs

vbimport

After becoming a proud owner of Pioneer’s DVR-K06 slim slot-loading DVD burner for 3 weeks, my drive’s CD laser has failed and it now only reads and burns DVDs! In addition, I am also experiencing the dreaded drive sleep issue.

After further investigations, I found out that the drive sleep issue is not only affecting OS X, but also Windows and Linux, suggesting that it has nothing to do with the OS or the compatibility between the drive and the Apple motherboard. Besides mechanical failure (unlikely to cause this sort of problem), this leaves just one other possible cause: firmware bugs.

I want to survey DVR-K06 owners here who have experienced the sleep issue (drive disappearing after sleep) what firmware do they have in their DVR-K06.

@ someone11,

Welcome to the Forum.

Exactly how do you KNOW that your Pioneer DVR-K06 Laser has failed?

Regards,
bjkg

My DVD writer no longer burns or reads CDs now and the symptoms match the symptoms posted on this page: http://xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/pioneer_dvr-k06_failures.html

Also, I made a mistake in the poll options: Q1X should be Q61X

@ someone11,

Drive ‘Sleep’ problems are usually Operating System and/or Motherboard BIOS problems and not a Drive Firmware problem.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2006363]@ someone11,

Drive ‘Sleep’ problems are usually Operating System and/or Motherboard BIOS problems and not a Drive Firmware problem.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

But this problem is already shown to be OS-independant. It is also BIOS/Firmware independant, since PPC macs use OpenFirmware and Windows machine usually use BIOS.

@ someone11,

Sleep/Hibernate is NOT a DVD Drive Firmware function but is an Operating System and/or Motherboard BIOS controlled function.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=someone11;2006351]Also, I made a mistake in the poll options: Q1X should be Q61X[/QUOTE]
Fixed that

[QUOTE=bjkg;2006482]@ someone11,

Sleep/Hibernate is NOT a DVD Drive Firmware function but is an Operating System and/or Motherboard BIOS controlled function.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Then how could this problem occur both on computers that use BIOS and computers that use Open Firmware?

[QUOTE=someone11;2006706]Then how could this problem occur both on computers that use BIOS and computers that use Open Firmware?[/QUOTE]

…but using the same OS! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=chef;2007305]…but using the same OS! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Macs don’t use BIOS! They either use EFI or Open Firmware. I was referring to a Windows machine!!

[QUOTE=someone11;2007448]Macs don’t use BIOS! They either use EFI or Open Firmware. I was referring to a Windows machine!![/QUOTE]

What has the BIOS to do with the OS in this case???

I’m running a PPC based iMac with said DVR-K06 with exactly the same laser prob of only reading and burning DVD’s. Are there any firmware fixes or is this completely hardware related, I’ sick of swapping out burner for combo optical just to read and burn cd’s, do I throw the K06?

Simon