DVR-221LBK or DVR-220LBK?

vbimport

Which of the above two drives is a better writer than the other? What is the hardware difference between the two if specifications are the same?

Different chipsets, boards and firmwares.

I am about to buy a new drive and the above two are among my choices. I was thinking if I should get DVR-220LBK or the newer and cheaper DVR-221LBK. Any idea about performance?

U will find some posts of these writers if u use the search-button :slight_smile:

Why are those your two choices?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2703510]Why are those your two choices?[/QUOTE]

I can also get LiteOn iHAS122 W, LiteOn iHAS124 W, ASUS DRW-24B5ST and ASUS DRW-24F1ST. Not sure if any of these is better than the two Pioneer drives.

Whats your most important thing? Speed, quality, Quality-scans?

I have the DVR-S20 and some Liteon, the differences are not big. Liteon is imho more quiet and can do quality scans.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2703598]I can also get LiteOn iHAS122 W, LiteOn iHAS124 W, ASUS DRW-24B5ST and ASUS DRW-24F1ST. Not sure if any of these is better than the two Pioneer drives.[/QUOTE]Eh… As far as I know the 24F1ST is a Samsung clone. The DRW-24B5ST is a Lite-On clone, and the two Lite-on drives you list are actually Optiarc based with a Renesas chipset.

What do you plan to use the drive for?

Writing and quality scans, but they two don’t mix as I can’t find an original LiteOn.

Don´t find new LG-drives like 24NS95 or 24NSB0? It have MTK_chipsets like the original Liteon have

And the Asus 24B5St based on Liteon

I can get a LG GH24NSB0, but I don’t think this can perform quality scans. Are you sure it uses a Mediatek chipset? Also can the Asus 24B5ST perform reliable quality scans if it uses a different (non LiteOn) firmware?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2703819]I can get a LG GH24NSB0, but I don’t think this can perform quality scans.[/quote]Search verifies that yes, it can. (No jitter on DVD media, though.)

Are you sure it uses a Mediatek chipset?
Search verifies that yes, it does.
Also can the Asus 24B5ST perform reliable quality scans if it uses a different (non LiteOn) firmware?
Search cannot quite verify this, but it should.

I do challenge you to search for the LG and Asus drives on the forum and tell us what you find. :wink:

Yeah, but you get many results here :wink:

BTW, is it possible to change the standard search-setting to “Show Posts”?

“Show threads” is a pain to the ass

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2703827]Yeah, but you get many results here :wink:

BTW, is it possible to change the standard search-setting to “Show Posts”?

“Show threads” is a pain to the ass[/QUOTE]I just flick the radio button to select “show posts” before I search.

Or I use the integrated Google Search.

Or I use an advanced search for something, and it’s just another option to set. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most of the time for stuff like this, a search for the thread (and wallowing through a few posts) is better than inputting a full search query.

Flicking though the first page of the GH24NS95 results thread shows that it can scan.

GH24NSB0 thread has no results about scanning, but says it’s still a MTK drive (so probably can, like the NS95 and NS90).

The Asus drive thread has some scans made by the drive itself with PIE, PIF and jitter reported, looking no different from the iHASx24 C series. (Somewhere along the way, you find out it is a C-series LiteOn). Whether you find a C-series 24x drive from LiteOn suitable for scanning, you’ll have to decide for yourself. I see nothing wrong with the scans, short of a few posts where the drive seems sensitive. :slight_smile:

I only encourage searching because you can find out a lot of interesting stuff in one slow swoop. :slight_smile: [And because I know some basic answers can be discovered without waiting for a reply.]

Well, I know this things but I use search very often and it is more comfort to make it for general standard :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2703837](Somewhere along the way, you find out it is a C-series LiteOn)[/QUOTE]So was the DRW-24B1ST, but it’s not anymore. The DRW-24B1ST i, seems to be a E-series Lite-On clone.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2703867]So was the DRW-24B1ST, but it’s not anymore. The DRW-24B1ST i, seems to be a E-series Lite-On clone.[/QUOTE]
Right. Thanks.

So my ramblings above should probably have concluded: “Even if you think you know what you’re getting these days, you might end up with something a little different.”

[Especially considering Asus uses Samsung, might use LG…probably does, and uses LiteOn. 4 different revisions of LiteOn. Probably 2 different revisions of Samsung. All for virtually the same drive. With distinctions difficult to make from outside of the box.]