DVR-215D (1.18): problem burning Dual Layer Arita DVDs

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-215D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all, I’ve came across cdfreaks some times and decided to register after I got some problems with the burner. It might just be a simple problem/solution… Anyway I try to give a good view, so this post might be a bit long haha :bigsmile:

The drive was working all fine untill I needed to burn my first dual layer dvd, I’ve decided to go for the pink arita DL+'s, but somehow I screwed up bout 3 or 4 of them. The problem always accured around half of the burning process (think its around end of layer one). Burned with imgburn btw, havent got any logs from it.

I thought it might be a problem with the motherboard, so I grapped my old motherboard (lucky it featured sata) + cpu and connected the harddisc and burner to it. Guess what: I got a good burn after that :bow:
(coincidence or not?)

ok, few weeks later (switched back to current motherboard and cpu, since its a dualcore): today I wanted to do a backup on a dual layer and it gave me an error around end of layer one. (me saying: not again!) The nero (version 8) log tells me ‘Internal target failure’ and ‘Could not perform end of Disc-at-once’.

In my frustration I decided to look around a bit on the internet and found out that I could do a drive test with nero discspeed. I got it to burn one of my normal dvd5 Arita (blue one’s, id Ritek R05). So now I wanted to see what the quality of the burn is, but I got an error telling me: Drive does not support this function.

To sum up: normal dvd’s burn fine, but it is having problems with dual layers (arita in this case, might get verbatim later but I dont need DL’s that much so it might be in a very long time (actually it was my first after a long time)). I tried another motherboard and it burned fine with the same burner (coincidence?).

Please help, im beginning to suspect the dvd drive is broken (internal target failure and not starting quality scan). Or im suspecting that the motherboard is not good (enough). I bougt it few months ago (before the burner) as a cheap deal; motherboard + dualcore amd cpu for 99 euro.
So there’s still warrenty on the motherboard and on the burner too.
Other thing it might be is the software side (using vista sp1). Maybe drivers or something? I really dont know lol. It might also be the media, but that still doesnt explain the fact that it burns fine untill half way and it completed fully on the other setup.

Thanks,
Jeff

ps, im from the netherlands so there could be some errors in my text lol :stuck_out_tongue:
pps, this post turned out longer then expected!

@ jeffvdb,

Welcome to the Forum.

The results your experiencing with your Arita DL+ Media is a typical classic problem when attempting to use poor quality problematic Media.

For quality error free DL Burning results Verbatim DL MKM001 / MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media is the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results. All other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Concerning Disc Quality Scanning – There is not any thing wrong with your Pioneer DVR-215D Drive. Plainly put the Pioneer DVR-215D Drive does NOT support Disc Quality Scanning. This is not a usual situation because many Manufacture Brands of DVD Burners do not support Disk Quality Scanning.

Concerning your dvd5 Arita (blue one’s, id Ritek R05) Media – Ritek Media has a rich well-documented history of reflectivity degradation problems. Your dvd5 Arita (blue one’s, id Ritek R05) Media might appear to Burn correctly but sometime down the line your dvd5 Arita (blue one’s, id Ritek R05) Media will devolve reflectivity degradation problems and become unreadable which is referred to as “DVD Rot”. To obtain consistent quality error free results only use well-documented known proven quality error free Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media.

Regards,
bjkg