DVR-215 behaving badly on new PC

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-215. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all,
I have a Pioneer DVR-215 w/FW 1.22 (apparently the latest) which previously was working very happily on my AMD Athlon X2/nForce 4 system with Windows XP. I recently upgraded to a Intel Core i7 using the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard with Intel X58 chipset and Vista 64bit. Unfortunately the drive seems to be behaving very strangely now.

It will click and spin up randomly and frequently as if a disc was in the drive, when there is none. Sometimes it does this several times in rapid succession, or sometimes it stays quiet for a long time before clicking again.

I have seen it mysteriously pause in the middle of a burn, only to pickup several minutes later without any kind of error message.

It also seems to be causing problems with my other optical and virtual optical drives. That is, the other drives eventually fail to recognize discs or will stop responding, causing the programs which access the optical drives (including explorer) to hang or go non-responsive. Once this happened during a burn, which of course trashed the disc. If I hot unplug the DVR-215 (it is SATA so this is safe to do), everything suddenly springs back to life.

These problems only happen when the Pioneer DVR-215 is connected, and when it is not I don’t get any of these problems. I’m not sure if the problem is due to the new MB or maybe something to do with Vista 64, but unfortunately I don’t have my old system around anymore to test on. I don’t have any packet burning or other unusual software installed, I just use Imgburn, AnyDVD, and Virtual Clone Drive (all latest versions).

Any ideas? I love the quality of burns I get with this drive and it seems nothing on the market comes close these days. I really don’t want to have to replace it with an inferior drive…

If you need more information to diagnose this problem then please let me know what to post. Thanks again!

Well, I gave the DVR-215 to my brother who has my old system (the AMD/nForce4) and it still works PERFECTLY there.

I think there is some kind of incompatibility between the Pioneer DVR-215 (FW 1.22) and the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (FW F3).

If anyone has any ideas or more information about this, it would be greatly appreciated.