DVR-212D slow writing speeds

I recently replaced an LG burner with this Pioneer.

Oddly no matter the program or media I use, it will only burn cds at 4x or 10x, and dvds at 4x.

I updated the firmware to 1.22. No luck resolving the problem. Raid is turned off on my board as some of the search results I found stated this could be a problem. I also checked to make sure the SATA controller was set to use IDE mode. I installed the latest drivers for my AMD 690G chipset. That never fixed it.

I am beginning to think this is just a waste of hardware space and I should replace it with something else. Anyone know why this could be happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Test the drive in another computer and surely it will work fine.

Try updating the mobo BIOS.

Sorry mate, AMD 690 chipset is a disaster with SATA opticals. Anything that is native SATA just will not work properly on it. AMD has been notified, and in fact we held the release of our Blu-ray drives for 2 months while we waited for them to fix it.

Apparently it will take “some months” to fix.

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1924141]
Apparently it will take “some months” to fix.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

I guess someone is either going to be selling their Pioneer or getting a new MB :stuck_out_tongue:

I opt for new MB as any SATA drive most likely won’t work and new Blu Ray and HDDVD drives may all turn out being SATA.

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1924141]Sorry mate, AMD 690 chipset is a disaster with SATA opticals. Anything that is native SATA just will not work properly on it. AMD has been notified, and in fact we held the release of our Blu-ray drives for 2 months while we waited for them to fix it.

Apparently it will take “some months” to fix.[/QUOTE]

This was NOT the answer I was looking for :slight_smile:

Well I could just use an IDE burner until it is fixed, as there are several great factors to this chipset. I did quite a bit of research before getting this board because I wanted to make sure there were 64 bit drivers for it. Sure enough, AMD not only had the drivers but according to PlanetAMD64, had the best 64bit drivers.

Normally boards with NForce chipsets cause some problems and I was hoping to avoid that with this board. Looks like I was wrong.

Thanks for the answer though, I at least can stop buying media thinking that was the issue. :slight_smile: Much appreciated.

Browsing this forum for almost two years I’d say Pioneers always have been and probably will be difficult on the interface. SATA problems with nVidia, AMD… I’m betting a Lite-On would work :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Cressida;1924441]Browsing this forum for almost two years I’d say Pioneers always have been and probably will be difficult on the interface. SATA problems with nVidia, AMD… I’m betting a Lite-On would work :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

If their drive uses a bridged interface, rather than a native interface, then yes it will probably work. I know for a fact the ASUS design is similar to ours and doesn’t work on these chipsets either.

Pioneer leads with technology, is it our fault the chipset manufacturers are a year behind the market?

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1924623]If their drive uses a bridged interface, rather than a native interface, then yes it will probably work. I know for a fact the ASUS design is similar to ours and doesn’t work on these chipsets either.

Pioneer leads with technology, is it our fault the chipset manufacturers are a year behind the market?[/QUOTE]

Interesting enough, I put the drive in my Quad 6600 and it worked flawlessly. I simply swapped the Pioneer into the big machine (and the one I normally use) for the LG H22N that was in the 5200+ x2 machine.

Doesn’t seem to have any issues with the Intel chipset…

[QUOTE=Webkikr;1924660]Doesn’t seem to have any issues with the Intel chipset…[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear its working for you now.

Nothing ever does in my opinion. Intel’s stuff is very well tested and we never have to tweak it to get it to work properly. Good thing their CPU’s are the best now too :slight_smile:

Even when AMD was king, still ran Intel rigs personally and for testing, sure the CPU might have been a bit slower but a lot less compatibility hassles. And Intel doesn’t abandon people who are 2+ generations behind current. Are you listening Nvidia?

Does this same issue still exist with the AMD690 chipset and the DVR-212D?

I have updated the firmware to 1.24 in the other system, but I was wanting to try it back in this system. Since there was never an issue with it in the other system, I thought it would nice to continue to use it in the system I use the most.

[QUOTE=Webkikr;1969483]Does this same issue still exist with the AMD690 chipset and the DVR-212D?[/QUOTE]

Yes - AMD’s response to the problem was to block their ears and go “lalalalala”