DVR-212D installation help

Well I finally bought a pioneer after hearing so many good things. Down to the issue, I have a p5b-bm 965g chipset jmicron controller and intel ich8 controller…there is much discussion on the best setup I’m totally confused on how to setup the 212d for best performance.Right now I have it on the jmicron controller , with the controller set in basic mode (whatever basic mode is).I also have a single sata II hd setup on the ich8 controller(not thinking of using raid).The ich8 controller offers no bios options.Any thoughts or help would be appreciated thanks.

[QUOTE=accat13;1969677]Well I finally bought a pioneer after hearing so many good things. Down to the issue, I have a p5b-bm 965g chipset jmicron controller and intel ich8 controller…there is much discussion on the best setup I’m totally confused on how to setup the 212d for best performance.Right now I have it on the jmicron controller , with the controller set in basic mode (whatever basic mode is).I also have a single sata II hd setup on the ich8 controller(not thinking of using raid).The ich8 controller offers no bios options.Any thoughts or help would be appreciated thanks.[/QUOTE]

Does the drive work correctly using the Jmicron chipset? If not then use the ich8 chipset controller and disable RAID in your mobo bios. If the drive still doesn’t work with the ich8 controller then you may have to end up buying a pci sata controller card w/the silicon image 3114 chipset. :wink:

Nice drive!! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=accat13;1969677]Well I finally bought a pioneer after hearing so many good things. Down to the issue, I have a p5b-bm 965g chipset jmicron controller and intel ich8 controller…there is much discussion on the best setup I’m totally confused on how to setup the 212d for best performance.Right now I have it on the jmicron controller , with the controller set in basic mode (whatever basic mode is).I also have a single sata II hd setup on the ich8 controller(not thinking of using raid).The ich8 controller offers no bios options.Any thoughts or help would be appreciated thanks.[/QUOTE]

First please try with the already available controllers.

If both wont work, you would have to buy a 3rd sata controller and flash the BASE BIOS (RAID Disabled) or do that with the current ones.

Thanks for all the responses sorry for taking awhile to respond family issues…I think I will leave it on the jmicron in basic mode…It seems to work ok there but the error level is a little higher then I would like around 2000 for a DL+ verbatim MIS…Burned a few and I expected better results o-well have to run wife calling :frowning: … garage door opening :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=accat13;1970003]Thanks for all the responses sorry for taking awhile to respond family issues…I think I will leave it on the jmicron in basic mode…It seems to work ok there but the error level is a little higher then I would like around 2000 for a DL+ verbatim MIS…Burned a few and I expected better results o-well have to run wife calling :frowning: … garage door opening :)[/QUOTE]

[B]Scanning dvd media for quality is not reliable with Pioneer burners![/B]

Please try with Liteon or newer Samsung burners instead.

[QUOTE=chef;1970734][B]Scanning dvd media for quality is not reliable with Pioneer burners![/B]

Please try with Liteon or newer Samsung burners instead.[/QUOTE]
Haven’t tried with a Samsung but I usually scan with my Benq 1640 or my liteon 812@832 Zebra modded …The 212d is my first sata burner and first pioneer…I’ve put the 832 and 1640 in the kids pc’s although I think my son may have destroyed the 832 I have to open up the drive its having problems ejecting :(.
Its funny while scanning with the 1640 with cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.3 on a DL verbatim mis I would be getting a good scan then the program would error at the layer break(sense error)…When I switched back to cd-dvd speed 4.61.2 beta it continued to scan past the layer break.I have to do more scanning to determine the best controller for the drive.I thought maybe someone may have had a 212 and an Asus P5b (jmicron ich8 based board) or p5b-vm in my particular case that could provide some specific advise its starting to drive me crazy…Is the silicon image 3114 chipset a good match for the drive…

Silicon Image chips are usually good combinations for ODD drives, yes. :iagree:

Oh, and it seems the DL scanning issue with the BenQ drive and CD-DVD Speed is known [can’t remember where I saw that issue brought up, though].

Oh, and error rate for DL will usually be kinda high. If by “the errors were around 2000” you mean that PIF were in total around 2500, you have a nice result. :iagree:

Thanks for the reply Albert and yes I did mean Pif between 2000 and 2500…I guess its just a case of looking for that all elusive perfect burn.