DVR-212 Installation Questions

Hi Everyone,

I posted regarding this issue 4 weeks ago

"I am trying to install a new DVR-212 SATA into my daughter’s Acer Aspire SA85. There is only one vacant SATA port on the motherboard. The only other SATA port is connected to the hard drive. The existing DVD drive is IDE. The BIOS settings are:
IDE Ch0 Master (existing DVD)
IDE Ch0 Slave (None)
IDE Ch1 Master (None)
IDE Ch1 Slave (None)
IDE Ch2 Master (HDD)
IDE Ch3 Master (None)

When I connect the DVR-212 to the vacant SATA port and power, the PC won’t boot past the first screen and I can’t get into BIOS settings. I also tried disconnecting the existing IDE DVD drive but it still won’t boot with the DVR-212 connected to SATA. Seems like some sort of a conflict but it’s got me stumped!"

I have since purchased a parallel ATA to serial ATA converter. I have plugged the converter into the vacant 40 pin IDE port and connected the converter to power. I have connected the DVR-212 to power (the tray opens and closes) and to the converter via SATA cable. The DVR-212 is not detected by XP when I reboot and does not appear in Device Manager. Not sure what to do next. Do I have to change settings in BIOS?

Thanks in anticipation.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Unfortunately your motherboard sata chipset controller probably is not compatible with a sata dvd burner. Your best bet would be to buy a pci sata controller card with the silicon image 3112/3114 chipset. If you can find out the manufacturer of the motherboard that would be helpful in determining which sata chipset controller you have. Intel based sata chipset controllers work well with sata dvd burners. Via chipset controllers usually don’t work. Nvidia chipset controllers will work as long as you use latest version.:wink:

Yes, the onboard SATA controller is not compatible with the 212.

Thanks so much for your help guys. :slight_smile:

A previous reply to my post last month advised that my Acer PC has SIS chipset which apparently is not great.

Is this a suitable PCI SATA controller card?

Description

Add Up To Four Extra IDE Drives Your Machine With This Brand New Serial ATA (SATA) Raid Card That Can Be Used To Add SATA Hard Disk To Your Machine, Or It Also Acts As A Raid Controller For Both Mirror & Stripe Arrays. Works Under Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2K & XP.

Features:
Chipset: Silicon Image Sil3114CTU
100% BRAND NEW!
Plug & Play
Serial ATA (SATA) Host Controller chip with 32-bit interface
Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0 Specification
Supports two independent Serial ATA ports with data transfer, rate up to 1.5 Gb/s
Built-in 256 byte FIFO per port for fast read/write operations
Support Microsoft generic IDE operation and Intel bus master DMA operations
RAID Function Optional
Supports RAID function 0 and 1
Adjustable stripe size for RAID 0
Supports co-exist RAID SET AND Non-RAID HDD
Allow HDDs with different sizes to be configurated in a RAID set
Microsoft Windows 95 98 98Se, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP, Windows 2003 Server
4 Internal SATA Port

I believe that’s a good card, yes. But you will have to make sure the card is using Silicon Image’s BASE BIOS, not the RAID BIOS. It’s really easy to flash though.

BASE BIOS: no RAID functionality. Works better with SATA ODD drives, and the like.

RAID BIOS: RAID functionality. Doesn’t play with SATA ODD drives so well, since it’s optimized for RAID performance.

[QUOTE=Gazza52;1963145]Thanks so much for your help guys. :slight_smile:

A previous reply to my post last month advised that my Acer PC has SIS chipset which apparently is not great.

Is this a suitable PCI SATA controller card?

Description

Add Up To Four Extra IDE Drives Your Machine With This Brand New Serial ATA (SATA) Raid Card That Can Be Used To Add SATA Hard Disk To Your Machine, Or It Also Acts As A Raid Controller For Both Mirror & Stripe Arrays. Works Under Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2K & XP.

Features:
Chipset: Silicon Image Sil3114CTU
100% BRAND NEW!
Plug & Play
Serial ATA (SATA) Host Controller chip with 32-bit interface
Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0 Specification
Supports two independent Serial ATA ports with data transfer, rate up to 1.5 Gb/s
Built-in 256 byte FIFO per port for fast read/write operations
Support Microsoft generic IDE operation and Intel bus master DMA operations
RAID Function Optional
Supports RAID function 0 and 1
Adjustable stripe size for RAID 0
Supports co-exist RAID SET AND Non-RAID HDD
Allow HDDs with different sizes to be configurated in a RAID set
Microsoft Windows 95 98 98Se, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP, Windows 2003 Server
4 Internal SATA Port [/QUOTE]

:iagree:that sata pci controller card is fine.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;1963763]:iagree:that sata pci controller card is fine.:)[/QUOTE]

ONLY with the right BIOS and the correct settings in the mobo BIOS. :bigsmile:

Cheers guys and I wish you all a Happy New Year from Down Under. :smiley:

I ran into this same problem with Pioneer DVR-215.

My mobo is out of SATA slot, thanks to RAID setup, so I bought a Silicon Image 3114 -based PCI SATA adapter. I flashed the BASE BIOS, since it shipped with RAID BIOS, but the PC hangs on boot, right after BIOS POST. If I unplug the Pioneer from the PCI SATA card it works fine, and the card is properly detected by Windows etc.

I have been Googling around and based on people’s comments the Silicon Image SATA chips would be problematic with ODD drives. Any ideas suggestions?