DVR-115D spins up like me ;) and ruins media

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-115DBK. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Spins up like me = like an idiot;)

Last year I bought a DVR-115D (BK) and flashed it to a DVR-115L…so far so good.

A couple of months ago problems started… after I inserted a blank DVD it would spin up and then it kept spinning up untill the DVD would hit the tray, then it slowed down and started to spin up again…for no reason, if you ask me, since Nero could already tell what burn speeds were supported.

At first I thought it could be the media as it only happened with some printable Maxell DVD+R, but recently I bought some new media (Verbatim DVD+/-R) and now it seems to happens to all media.

Besides that the drive is ruining my media the worst thing is that I have to wait till it’s almost done burning (95-99%) before I know if it ruined a DVD again:a

Am I the only one having this problem?

I’m not going to RMA it as it’ll cost me ~€8 for shipping while a new drive is only ~€20:sad:

I’ll take some pictures of the damage being done, and I’ll do some scans to see if it still burns properly.

For now, anyone have suggestions for a new drive in case I can’t fix it?

BTW: I still have a DVR-106 and a Lite-On DH20A4P, so I’m looking for a drive that does quality burns on quality media.

Maybe its time to clean the drive.

I doubt it’s dirty on the inside but it’s not impossible, I sure will clean the lens when I take it apart, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem…

Something odd just happened, my Lite-On DH20A4P wouldn’t recognize a blank Verbatim DVD-R MCC 03RG20 MII while the DVR-115 didn’t have any problem with the same disc:confused:
I’ve hardly used the Lite-On DH20A4P, and my 4+ year old DVR-106 is still going strong.

Could it be a software problem?
I must say that Nero (7.2.7.0) comes up with an error for some time after burning image files, imgburn however burns everything just fine.

While I didn’t plan to install “useless” software on my fresh RAID0 game install, I guess it might be a wise idea to do so anyways (I’d hate to start all over again just to find out it’s my MOBO or some other silly component).

You see how unreliable Nero sometimes is, so it is possible that it is just a darn software/driver glitch.