DVR-115D not seeing disks

vbimport

Hi all,

I am having difficulty getting my new DVR-115D to detect the presence of any kind of disk in the drive. When I insert a disk in the drive it seems to be trying to read the disk (judging from the sounds), but after a short time the drive goes silent and the disk title/directory does not show up in Windows.

Some pertinent info:

The DVR-115D is contained in an external Galaxy Metal Gear Box case with USB interface.

I am connecting the drive to a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows XP v 5.1, SP3 using a USB cable

The computer seems to see the drive itself with no problem. Under My Computer the drive shows up as DVD-RW Drive (F:). Under properties the drive is listed as Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D USB Device.

When I double click on F: under my computer I get a Windows message saying please insert a disk into drive F:, even if a disk is already in the drive

The firmware is up to date.

I opened the case to check to drive to case connections - they all appear to be fine.

The drive was manufactured in Jan 2008.

Any thoughts on what to try next? Thanks!

Hello. :slight_smile:

I am not sure but the Pioneer firmware may not be prepared to work as external. I have a 111D converted to a 111L and it has internal and external firmwares… :flower:

EDIT: The enclosure chipset may not be the correct one to work with the Pio…

Yes the DVR115D will work as an external as I have two of them on USB cables.

Other than that statement I can not help with your problem.

Thanks for your reply. My drive is using firmware v 1.18. I haven’t found any references to separate firmware to use the drive externally, but perhaps someone here can shed some light on this possibility…?

Is anyone here using the DVR-115D in an external case? I bought my unit already installed in am external USB Galaxy case from egoodz.

[QUOTE=Benhad;2082605]Yes the DVR115D will work as an external as I have two of them on USB cables.

Other than that statement I can not help with your problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Are you using v 1.18 firmware?

Yes I am using V 1.18 firmware.
Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I at various times have played with Lg - Benq and Pioneer internal drives hooked up with USB cables just to test burn and read times.

I have never used any firmware except that meant for internal drives.

I have Never used any firmware meant for External drives.

I just tried moving the drive over to my Mac (running OS 10.3.9) and had no success recognizing disks inserted into the drive on that computer. Perhaps this is a case chipset issue as suggested above…

@ sborowko2,

Perhaps it would be beneficial if you described in detail exactly what type of “Disk” your Pioneer DVR-115D is not recognizing.

Are these unrecognizable “Disk” Commercially Manufactured disk similar to original Commercial DVD Movies or Commercially Manufactured CD Audio Disks?

Will your Pioneer DVR-115D “Boot” to a bootable disk similar to a Microsoft Windows XP Disk?

Are these unrecognizable “Disk” DVD±R media disk that you have personally recorded?

If these unrecognizable “Disk” are DVD±R media disk that you have personally recorded provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of these “Disk”. To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of these “Disk” suggest using a software utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Regards,
bjkg

These usb externals are just crappy.
In 90% of all cases they will not work.