DVR-115D gives BAD_POOL_HEADER on blank dvd

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-115D / DVR-1910. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a new DVR-115D on secondary master. I also have a DVR-112 which is secondary slave.

Sometimes when I put a blank DVD in the 115D, I get a BSOD of BAD_POOL_HEADER - not straightaway, but when WinXPsp3 has spun it up and tried to access it (autorun). It doesn’t happen all the time. I put the 115D in 4 days ago and the problem started 1 day later, and is only when I put a blank dvd in. Any suggestions about what I can do to fix? Both drives have the latest firmware, are at the right position on the IDE cable and have the jumpers set correctly (115D set to master, 112 set to slave). Any help appreciated.

I’ve just noticed something marginally strange…

If the drives are empty, the 112 is listed in Explorer as DVD-RAM, whereas the 115D is DVD-RW.

If I look in Device Manager, the 115D is listed as ‘PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D’, whereas the 112 is listed just as ‘CD-ROM Drive’ - and if I look at the properties, the device id string has ‘DVR-112 DVD-RW 1.24’ in.

did you have two drives before? have you checked the connections? changed out cables? did you update drivers around the same time? are you using windows drivers? what happens if you disable auto-run? what program is your auto-run set to start up or is it set to do nothing?

do you know what upper and lower filters you have installed? you can check and remove upper filters with ImgBurn/ tools /filter drive load order.

[QUOTE=burns flipper;2109318]I’ve just noticed something marginally strange…

If the drives are empty, the 112 is listed in Explorer as DVD-RAM, whereas the 115D is DVD-RW.

If I look in Device Manager, the 115D is listed as ‘PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D’, whereas the 112 is listed just as ‘CD-ROM Drive’ - and if I look at the properties, the device id string has ‘DVR-112 DVD-RW 1.24’ in.[/QUOTE]

This is normal.
Depends on the drive capabilities and the last inserted mediatype!!

@ burns flipper,

Each BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) event displays a Message. The usual parameters displayed for the BSOD are similar to ->

Number of Error (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) Name of Error.

All of the above display Message information is important in understanding and determining the cause of the BSOD.

Depending on the value “number of error” the parameters contain data pertaining to what went wrong and/or where it happened.

For analyst provide the entire complete untruncated BSOD Event Display Message.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=troy512;2109426]did you have two drives before? have you checked the connections? changed out cables? did you update drivers around the same time? are you using windows drivers? what happens if you disable auto-run? what program is your auto-run set to start up or is it set to do nothing?[/quote]I had 2 drives but one was just a dvd reader. I moved the 112 from master to slave (and changed the jumper correctly to slave, and put it on the middle connector of the ide cable), and the cable is in fine. I can read and write successfully using both drives, even simultaneously. I’m just using Windows drivers, I wasn’t aware I could get any Pioneer ones. Auto-run is just the default i.e. it displays the “What do you want to open with?” dialog box.

do you know what upper and lower filters you have installed? you can check and remove upper filters with ImgBurn/ tools /filter drive load order.

As follows, I haven’t changed anything:

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.2.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Class Filter: ElbyDelay
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
   File Version:  5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name:  PxHelp20
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
   File Version:  3.00.43J [3.0.43.9]

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name:  AnyDVD
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
   File Version:  5.9.6.1

File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 5.9.6.1
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2006 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name:  ElbyDelay
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ElbyDelay.sys
   File Version:  5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]

File Description: Elby Delay Lower Filter Driver
Product Name: CDRTools
Product Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Company Name: Elaborate Bytes AG
Copyright: Copyright © 2003 - 2006 Elaborate Bytes AG

Filter Name:  imapi
      File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
   File Version:  5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Follow “***HOW TO … Delete the Upper & Lower Filters!***” in my sig.

Hi chef - I’d already read the article but hadn’t got any of the errors named. From the list I’ve given, is there something specific I should be removing? I’m guessing the Px one since it’s the one I don’t recognise.

@ burns flipper,

If you are still experiencing BSOD suggest noting posting #5 and provide the entire complete untruncated BSOD Event Display Message for analyst.

If you are not experiencing BSOD then what specific problem(s) are you experiencing that leads you to believe you have upper/lower filter problem?

Regards,
bjkg

It was just a guess.
Maybe disable AnyDVD and see what happens, also check the event viewer in windooze for issued entries.

Burns Flipper I had a very similar problem with my Plextor CD Writer. The problem turned out to be the Plextor CD writing software which came with the burner. The Plextor software installed some drivers which were incompatible with Windows XP. When I uninstalled the Plextor software the problem went away. It took me a long time to find the problem :slight_smile:

So check if any of the DVD or CD burning software is incompatible with your system.