DVR-115D Firmware Update & Restore Q's

I’m wondering if pioneer flashing now allows to go back to an older firmware version. If i don’t find the newest one (DVR115D_FW118EU2) better than present v1.06 version.

As dvrflash is no longer updated is it known if it works with dvr-115D drives. I read it can allow for updating new firmware and going back to older ones.

Can dvrflash if works with dvr-115D backup present firmware also.

Does the Quietdrive utility that pioneer has work with either dvr-115D firmware v1.06 or v1.18. I looked on pioneer site it didn’t indicate if does or not. Could be not web page info updated, so reason asking here.

[QUOTE=robbi;1991183]I’m wondering if pioneer flashing now allows to go back to an older firmware version. If i don’t find the newest one (DVR115D_FW118EU2) better than present v1.06 version.[/QUOTE]

Your problem is going to be nobody will have 1.06, not even me.

1.18 is markedly better than 1.06 in lots of areas, and I agree its not perfect. What MIDs concern you?

I use only sony dvd+r for long time, best deal for me. And work on any dvd writer.

I have compared now v1.06 and v1.18 dvr-115D firmwares against LG GSA-4163B and NEC-3500AG. Both these older drives beats the pants off the dvr-115d for pie/f tests on the same data and burn software comparing. I’m hoping pioneer will make this better for sony D21 disks.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD+R
Manufacturer: : Sony
MID : SONY D21 000 (00h)
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 8.0 X - 12 X - 12.0 X - 16 X - 16.0 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4482 MB
: 4700375040 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : 4 X
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F 00 00 00 00 - …&.?..
0010 - 00 00 07 53 4F 4E 59 00 00 00 00 44 32 31 00 38 - …SONY…D21.8
0020 - 23 54 37 14 00 28 6E 00 80 69 17 19 0C 0C 0A 0B - #T7…(n…i…
0030 - 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …
0040 - 01 00 38 38 00 20 61 24 0B 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 - …88…a$…#…
0050 - 00 00 00 20 61 24 0B 2E 23 10 04 1E 1D 01 00 00 - …a$…#…

Does the pioneer quietdrive utility work with v118 firmware. These dvr-115d drives are very noisy. I though that my nec 3500 was noisy, pioneer is 3-4 times as loud.

Sony media is also MII now, quality is going down with them.

Sony have very recently changed to a new tub label design. Now has a top label with a 2" or so half moon shape, cut from the lable on top of disks. I’m happy to note no more hairs, dust finger marks on these new packed disks. Well so far ok after 100 disks. Also only one has had a media sense error. Maybe they will be MI again soon, with quality improving to what they once were.

@ robbi,

The vast majority of Sony Branded Media is not actually manufactured by Sony but is sub-contracted out to various Manufactures. Some these sub-contractors are located in India, Malaysia, Korea and who knows where else. One of these sub-contractors is Moser Bear India which has a well documented history of producing very poor quality Media. The bottom line when purchasing Sony Branded Media you are playing Russian Roulette and have absolutely no guarantee that the Package of Media you are buying today is exactly the same Media you previously purchased and since the Sony Branded Media in made by various Manufactures the quality can be very variable from Package to Package.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=robbi;1991529]I use only sony dvd+r for long time, best deal for me. And work on any dvd writer.[/QUOTE]

Sony media I would call average and I think I am being kind calling it that.

I have raised some issues regarding 1.18 so hopefully we’ll get that seen to, but at this stage I can’t give you a timeframe, and you definitely can’t go backwards.

Sony.D21 works fine for me with 1.18.

Made by Moser Baer India.

@ OC-Freak,

It appears your idea of “Works Fine” is vastly different than mine.

Compare your above Sony D21 Disc Quality Scan with the MCC004/TYG02 Scans over at the “Pioneer DVR-115: Post your scans and questions here” thread and you will see what I mean.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1991608]Sony media I would call average and I think I am being kind calling it that.

I have raised some issues regarding 1.18 so hopefully we’ll get that seen to, but at this stage I can’t give you a timeframe, and you definitely can’t go backwards.[/QUOTE]

@ Brad. That would be welcome, but i’m sure now i will be changing to quality media instead. Though i’m sure plenty of others still use Sony D21 disks.

Brad can also the v118 firmware be used with pioneer quiet disk utility. I’ve seen on the site it doesn’t list dvr-115 but unsure if it just hasn’t been updated. Reason i keep asking is i can not use dvr-115 with the drive so loud, as is now. Also does the utility hamper any drive abilty or performance by making it quiet.

@ All. I’ve noted from that sony are using any media, but i may now be changing disks to TY or similar quality. This i did not know, may have to re think about getting mail order service going for better disks. Problem is the fakes that can be bought without knowing. This put me of buying TY and similar quality long ago. It may do again, because i’m not into sendig back via post fake disks. And it would start to cost plenty if i keep getting fake disks.

Is there any way to make sure they are genuine disks to start with. Or is it all about mid codes that i hear can be faked also, or is that a wives tale.

What is the current link for the media quality list now, MI MII MIII so on. I need to choose better quality disks.

[QUOTE=robbi;1991904]

What is the current link for the media quality list now, MI MII MIII so on. I need to choose better quality disks.[/QUOTE]

What is “MI” and “MIII”??
MII means Made in India.

Or did you mean “Mark 1” and so on??

[QUOTE=robbi;1991902]Brad can also the v118 firmware be used with pioneer quiet disk utility. I’ve seen on the site it doesn’t list dvr-115 but unsure if it just hasn’t been updated. Reason i keep asking is i can not use dvr-115 with the drive so loud, as is now. Also does the utility hamper any drive abilty or performance by making it quiet.[/QUOTE]

No, the quiet drive utility cannot work on any current or recent models.

The drive will run at 5x for playing a DVD-Video, but apart from that there’s no speed limiting.

If you want it to be quieter, burn at lower speeds. I just don’t see the issue, its not that noisy, compared to hard drives, fans etc. I mean you can tell its burning but its 20x! Its got to spin the disc up and cool itself and the disc. Most of the noise is air moving.

What happened to Daxon Media subcontract, then?
Daxon DVDs have been pretty decent so far… :confused:

I do not know, but I’ve seen a lot of other brands suddenly appear as Daxon manufactured. Philips, TDK and Intenso to name some, all those with daxon MIDs though.

@ robbi,

Unaware of exactly what you are looking.

If you are looking for the Media Support For DVR-115 Series Drives ->

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/DVR115_MediaList_118.pdf

If you are looking for informative information concerning Quality Media suggest reviewing the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/

You mention obtaining known proven authentic Made in Japan (MIJ) Taiyo Yuden Media. All authentic genuine Taiyo Yuden Media is only manufactured in Japan. There are two different “Grades” of authentic Made in Japan (MIJ) Taiyo Yuden Media (Value Line and Premium Line). Unfortunately you fail to mention your location. If you are in USofA Rima.Com provides only authentic genuine Made in Japan (MIJ) Premium Line Taiyo Yuden Media ->

http://rima.com

When purchasing Taiyo Yuden Media on line and the Web Store doesn’t specially indicate that they provide authentic Made in Japan (MIJ) Premium Line Taiyo Yuden Media ask exactly what “Grade” they sell and what assurance they provide to their customer that their Taiyo Yuden Media is actually authentic genuine Made in Japan (MIJ) Premium Line Taiyo Yuden Media before purchasing Taiyo Yuden Media.

Regards,
bjkg

I also have a 115D FW 1.06.

When I went to update the FW through ImgBurn it sent me here.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces=DVR-115D

DVR115D_FW118EU2.EXE 1,118 KB

From Pioneer’s site I got this:

DVR115D_FW118EU.zip 1,113 KB

I’m a bit confused as which one to use.

Hi :slight_smile:
MysticEyes, Ihave just downloaded the rpc1 firmware page file (bottom file).
It is exactly the same size as the file I got from the Pioneer site (top file)

File on C drive (left hand side) Pioneer download/ File on D drive (right hand side) from Firmware rpc1.

[QUOTE=zebadee;1992224]Hi :slight_smile:
MysticEyes, Ihave just downloaded the rpc1 firmware page file (bottom file).
It is exactly the same size as the file I got from the Pioneer site (top file)

File on C drive (left hand side) Pioneer download/ File on D drive (right hand side) from Firmware rpc1.
[/QUOTE]
That doesn’t make sense, unless your rig is rounding off. I just re-downloaded and got my same figures. And the EXE inside the Pioneer zip file is actually 1,086 KB.

I also note that your RPC file is different from mine. (???) and my Pioneer download is a ZIP file.

[I]Off topic.[/I]
zebadee, I can modify a compressed file to whatever size you like… :smiley:

The important thing is the filesize inside. :smiley:
Evaluate the “A081400…” if it matches stock firmwares.