DVR-115D dual layers burning slow

vbimport

Recently my friend got an IDE Pioneer DVR-115D dual layer burner. If you don’t know its advertised speed on dual layers is 10x. He bought a stack of DL TDK 8x discs to burn a bunch of movies. The drive can’t go any faster than 1.9x and the device buffer keep flashing between 30 and 70% (never 100%.) The system buffer always stays at 100%. We tried a stack of older Memorex 2.4x dual layers and they burned at 2.4x, without any buffer issues, buffers stayed at 100% the whole time.

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1gb ram
XP Pro
Pioneer DVR-115D
160gb SATA hdd (can’t remember brand)
2x older DVD burners (not dual layer, Sony and Asus)

Now I read that setting the the IDE channels to “DMA if available” fixes the problem, but it didn’t make any difference. I also tried unplugging the other 2 burners because a guy at work told me that has worked for him in the past on slow burns.

My guess is that the TDK discs are bad, but I didn’t think new discs still had such bad issues though I’m not an expert in dvd burning myself :stuck_out_tongue:

So does anyone else have issues with TDK discs? do they have a bad reputation?

@ fiberwire,

Welcome to the Forum.

It has been passed throughout the CD Freaks Forum and numerous other Web Forums about a hundred numerous times that the ONLY DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. ALL other DL Media is considered highly suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Regards,
bjkg

Maybe Suspect but I find the Phillips 8x CMC mag D02 media i can get now and then on sale at futureshop burns on my pioneer 115d. in a timely fashion. Though My verbatim is Definetly Faster :slight_smile: and its where all my Important data goes. I use the CMC for Data storage of Lower Importance things.

@ morisato,

Suggest performing a Disc Quality Scan of Phillips 8x CMC Mag D02 Media and you will easily realize that CMC MAG D02 Media is an absolute problematic poor performer.

There is a definite reason why Phillips 8x CMC Mag D02 Media Burns slower than the known proven quality error free Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. The reason the Phillips 8x CMC Mag D02 Media Burns slower than the known proven quality error free Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media is that the Phillips 8x CMC Mag D02 Media is poor quality problematic manufactured Media with manufacturing errors which the Pioneer DVD-115D is valiantly struggling to Burn correctly and acts unusual in its “Stop and Go” behavior. Using Phillips 8x CMC Mag D02 Media and other poor quality problematic manufactured Media is a major reason you experience your “Pioneer 115D acting unusual Stop then go” problem you recently posted about in another CD Freaks Forum posting.

Regards,
bjkg

ok thanx for all the help, next time I’ll tell him to buy the Verbatim discs. It’s a shame dvd manufacturers haven’t gotten their act together by now and produced good quality dl dvd’s :confused:

[QUOTE=fiberwire;2081680]ok thanx for all the help, next time I’ll tell him to buy the Verbatim discs. It’s a shame dvd manufacturers haven’t gotten their act together by now and produced good quality dl dvd’s :/[/QUOTE]

It is all a playground of money & politics… :frowning: