DVR-115D Dual Layer Problems

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-115D / DVR-1910. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

Just wanted to ask a question about this drive.

Basically, I have made a backup image of several of my games which are Dual Layer originals. I have used Infiniti Professional 360 Dual Layer discs to try and burn these to disc and use them to save use on the originals.

The whole burn image process goes without a problem and finishes. But, when I try to install the games using the newly created disc, sometimes it gets most of the way through and then says it cannot read a file from the disc and so on.

I have tried burning the images with several burning applications like Nero 8, Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 and 8, Daemon-Tools Pro etc. I get the same problems with every disc I burn and it is not using the same game image, for example, I have backup up Crysis and Mass Effect discs, and burning both to a seperate disc gives the same problems.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Current firmware on the drive is the official 1.18 version.

Andrew.

Hello from a fellow UK member :slight_smile:

I have some of those same discs. While the burn process completes successfully on many of my drives, playback is another story.

I would recommend you use Verbatim DVD+R DL instead for your backups.

I have the 115D myself, and it’s usually an excellent burner on even the most crappy media. But if the 115D won’t give you a playable burn, you know those discs aren’t good :wink:

@ andyr2005,

I would suspect that the use of Infiniti Professional 360 Dual Layer discs is the cause of your problems.

It has been passed numerous times throughout the Forum that the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. All other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Regards,
bjkg

Hi,

Well as per the current version of Nero DiscSpeed I have installed, these discs are detailed as follows:

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD+R DL
Manufacturer: : Ricoh
MID : RICOHJPN D01 067 (43h)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X
Blank Capacity : 7.96 GB
: 8152 MB
: 8547993600 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.98 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 22 D7 FF - …2…"…
0010 - 00 00 03 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 44 30 31 43 40 - …RICOHJPND01C@
0020 - 25 25 37 10 00 2C 6C 00 2C 6C 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…,l.,l…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

So it would appear that these discs are no good. I will have to get looking for some of those Verbatim ones instead.

Thanks for the information.

[QUOTE=andyr2005;2121729]Hi,

Well as per the current version of Nero DiscSpeed I have installed, these discs are detailed as follows:

So it would appear that these discs are no good. I will have to get looking for some of those Verbatim ones instead.

Thanks for the information.[/QUOTE]

Yup, exactly the same MID (media code) as the ones I have :iagree:…I only use mine for testing now, since they’re pretty much useless for movie backups or whatever.

Good luck!

Hi,

Well I have one last question that I might as well ask cause you might know the answer. I have tried actually copying some DVD’s to dual layer to play on my Philips DVP3020 /05 player, but they either do not play or I get the error message Incorrect Disc format, I presume that this is entirely because of the disc I am using based on the feedback I have had so far, as I though DL was part of the DVD specification, and the player should therefore play them as it does original discs.

Andrew.

Hi,

One last thing, I am looking on Amazon UK, which DVD DL’s is it that you use, or how would I found out if the ones I have chosen are the correct ones etc.

Andrew.

Playback problems are indeed one symptom of mediocre or bad media quality :iagree:

However, bitsetting the discs to DVD-ROM (when you get better ones!) may help if the discs are flat out refusing to play (as opposed to freezing/skipping, which would just indicate crappy media).

A search of the Pioneer forum for Bitsetting will give you all the info you need on this.

As for which DLs…choose Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL, or if you can find them, Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Your help is much appreciated arachne.

Andrew.

You’re welcome, good luck! If you have any problems at all once you get some Verbatim discs, post back to this thread and we’ll go from there :slight_smile: