DVR-115D Cant keep speed

When i burn a disc, let it be a CD, Dvd, or a DVD DL it will pick up speed then slow down, go a bit faster than before then slow down again, gradually picking up speed. But it still gets only to about 16x when burning the DVD noware near the 20x its suposed to (and it was set to 20x with Nero)

Faulty drive? need new firmware?

Its been doing this ever since i got it, about a month ago. i primaly use it for DVD’s and DVD+R DL’s

Thanks for you help in advance.

my pc spec.

C2D 6750 @ 3.6 (stock 2.66)
2gb ram
1.5tb hdd space.
Asus P5n-e SLI mobo
8800GT

etc etc.

what media are you using? As for 20x burns, it won’t reach that speed till near the end of the disc even with mcc/ty media

Um for the DL im using verbatims. for the DVD’s im using a random brand that i hadnt herd of but they are certifed at 16x (so the say) i dont care that they dont get to 20x its the slowing down and speeding up bit that im worried about. cause this can create bad burns. and it takes a LONG time to burn cause it sits around 8 -10x for ages. droping back to 6 etc.

random brand media creates bad burns :slight_smile:

edit: as for your DL slow downs, what is the burst rate of your drive?

well its not random in that sence. just not a brand from where im from. its not only DVD’s it does this on. it does it on both teh DL’s and the CD’s so its not the media. and all the burns ive done so far have been readable. but its slow and it gives me a bad feeling. wasting a $8 disc is not cool (DL)

do a nero benchmark scan and post the results.

My pioneer’s all of did this on my computer but when I stuck them in my duplicator they ran fine
In computer slow down up & down over & over I saw others with this problem I think that these drives are just not compatible with a wide range of computers I tried to get help with this problem and no one could understand what the problem was oh well My nec works superbly so I stick with it in my pc and pioneer in my duplicator

maybe it is some kind of compatibility issues with these drives that is what I think

I don’t care what anyone says these pioneer drives have slow up & down over and over problems that are not due to media type or dma mode unless DMA mode 4 is not fast enough because all of my drives run in DMA mode 4 with a 42/mb burst rate

Hello sorry to sound noob. but how do i do the benchmark. Does doing the beachmark waste a disc?

Thanks

Hmm i guess this doesnt show what its doing :S it looked fine in this test…

[img=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5766/dvdzc1.th.jpg]

upgrade your firmware to 1.18 and run the benchmark test on a dvd that contains data

can i mod it to be a L first? what differance does this make? i was reading about modding it to be the SJ** or what ever it was to alow quiet drive and that stuff?

There’s no need to mod it right now, until you are satisfied with its current performance. :disagree:

Exactly what brand of discs are you burning, and what is the MID? One quick way to find out is, in DiscSpeed, with the discs you use inserted, open up the Create Data Disc tab. It will have a box labeled Disc Info, and in that, something labeled ID. What is that ID for both the Single Layer and Double Layer discs? This information might help a bit. :wink:

haha i just cheaked the dvd’s their verbatims! and the DL’s are Riteck.

Edit: I thought that if i update the firmware to 1.18 (or 1.19 i think i saw on here) can i still go to the modded firmware?

i did this on my old NEC 2100 to make it a 2510. I got a new drive cause now when i try to burn a DL i get power colaberation errors. this new drive does not so its not the discs :smiley: (also go error when i used verbatims)

[QUOTE=A_Tiny_Chipmunk;2053138]haha i just cheaked the dvd’s their verbatims! [B]and the DL’s are Riteck[/B].

Edit: I thought that if i update the firmware to 1.18 (or 1.19 i think i saw on here) can i still go to the modded firmware?

i did this on my old NEC 2100 to make it a 2510. I got a new drive cause now when i try to burn a DL i get power colaberation errors. this new drive does not so its not the discs :smiley: (also go error when i used verbatims)[/QUOTE]

They are crap.

Ritek DL’s are crap there is seriously only one brand which is pathetic that won’t skip when you burn it but again when I had this same problem with my 112-115D’s the benchmark would work fine it was the burning that was sparatic up & down burning which I have never seen with the 9 dvd burners that I own I can’t explain it.

I think I know what you’re talking about now

The yellow line represents the write speed. It is true that it fluctuates a little, but I don’t believe it affects burn quality as the write buffer is somewhat constant.

Hmm so thas ur drive? so i shouldnt worry about it? even tho it makes it take like far longer to burn something. What about the mod then?

Yeah that’s a graph of my personal drive. I wouldn’t worry about it unless there’s a HUGE dip (often caused by too much cpu usage). Pioneer drives burn close to or faster than most drives, so speed is fine in my opinion (5:30 16x for 4.35gigs). As for modding, I would use MSCE for bitsetting/increased read speed. If you want to crossflash, I would do it if you need DVD-RAM support / labelflash otherwise you won’t gain anything by doing so

whats label flash? and i was reading before about the SJ** or wat ever it is. that has other things that this drive can mod to that as well? Thanks for all your help.