DVR-115 or DVR-215

vbimport

Which is better? I burn Verbatim/TDK +R/+RW/+R DL media and read all kinds of DVD media. I have no preference of interface. May be ATA or SATA.
Has 215 got any weakness that 115 hasn’t?

My previous burner was NEC 3520 and I was satisfied. Just died today :doh:
In strange way - loading a DVD into tray causes a system restart (or the drive disappears when connected by USB adapter). Flashing another firmware didn’t help. Any thoughts? :smiley:

I hope it’s a good place for this thread.
Regards

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Both drives are absolutely identical but the interface you will choose is important.

Some SATA controllers, in fact, are not fully compatible with burners. If you are in doubt, the IDE model is the safest choice :slight_smile:

Thanks. How about SATA controller from Intel P35 chipset (ICH9R) ?

According to many users the ICH9 chipset is compatible with SATA burners, but I’m not fully sure about the ICH9[B]R[/B], because this is the RAID version of the controller :frowning:

As long you stay away from $ntel Matrix drivers, you should be okay. :wink:
[I]Edit.[/I] Consult your motherboard manual how to set IDE compatibility mode in BIOS.

Strange enough, Linux OS’s like latest SuSE, Fedora or Redhat doesn’t have any problems handling optical drives on “R” chip.

I’ve bought 115D. Happy so far :smiley: It burns my 16x +R Verbatims at 20x and 2.4x +DL Verbatims at 8x :smiley: Simply great :smiley:

Thanks for help

PS. It even flashed a new firmware under Vista x64 without reboot.

There is no problem to use the 215 with ICH9R. As RAID is only on Port 0-3, you have to choose SATA-Port 4 or 5 for the 215.

[QUOTE=Udo-Andreas;2044339]There is no problem to use the 215 with ICH9R. As RAID is only on Port 0-3, you have to choose SATA-Port 4 or 5 for the 215.[/QUOTE]

Yep, good advice! :clap:

I have MSI P35 NEOF-FR2 mainboard, with ICH9., work ok with DVR-215D( aka 215L) on port5 SATA II.

I am in the same situation as you, Davka.

I have been using NEC 3520A for a few years, great drive, however it started to fail on me one week ago.

I bought the Pioneer 215 instead because my motherboard still have plenty of SATA connectors, while it only has 2 IDE connectors. It came with stock firmware 1.13, I have burned 2 discs without problem. However it is louder than 3520A when it spins up.

The 3520 is a 16x, the 115/215 a 20x dvd burner…

[QUOTE=chef;2045317]The 3520 is a 16x, the 115/215 a 20x dvd burner…[/QUOTE]

OK, we have already known that. Your point is?

he’s saying that faster burners are louder