DVR-112D (It\'s dead Jim) (Pioneer DVR-112D / DVR-1810)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-112D / DVR-1810. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all.

I am the afore mentioned newbie. I have been reading and search this cdfreaks and rpc1’s forums AND using google for about 3 hours and have been unable to solve my problem. Here goes:

I moved a cd-rewritable drive (Mitsumi- CR487ETE) from one machine to my main pc. After an attempt to burn two CDs failed, for some reason I decided to update my firmware. I downloaded the mitsumi firmware updater and jumped right in to clicking. Unfotunately, I may have killed my Pioneer DVR-112 D (that I didn’t disconnect before clicking away) in the process.

Note: everything I’m about to tell you was attempted both in and out of Safe Mode, with only the Pioneer drive connected

Device Manager recognizes the drive, but has a red X on it. Properties says 'This device is disabled. (Code 22). When I attempt to ‘enable’ the drive, I receive “Windows was not able to enable this device.”

I’ve tried multiple utilities (DISCInfo and DVR 2.5.1) and nothing seems to recognize the disc drive is even connected to the machine. I fear I may have created a door stop.

I’m not even able to start at the beginning of any firmware updates, because other than the drive appearing in device manager, nothing seems to see it. If there is a thread that already exists that I’ve missed, please direct me. Otherwise, I’m looking for some advice on how to proceed.

Strangely (or maybe not), when I tried to start the machine with just the Mitsumi CD drive connected, the machine hangs on the Windows start up screen.

I can provide system specs if they’re someway important.

Thanks in advance for any help/flames you provide.

Weave

Hi and Welcome!

first test: try to boot from your Pioneer. You need a bootable CD or DVD for that, and you possibly need to change the boot order in Bios.
Also, if you haven’t already done this:

[ol]
[li]Disconnect the old drive
[/li][li]Make sure the Pioneer is set as Master
[/li][li]And it is connected at the end of an 80wired IDE flat ribbon cable.
[/li][/ol]
Michael

Okay…so that works. My computer was able to startup on my winxp disk.

I’m guessing that means I have a registry problem on my drive. I’ll start scanning the forums for fixes. I recall reading a couple of posts about AnyDVD registry clean up. I do have AnyDVD installed on my system.

Any recommendations?

I uninstalled Nero software and AnyDVD. Success.

The drive is appearing again. Computer is unbelievably slow. Going to keep pluggin away.

Thank you mciahel!

Since I can see the drive again, I went ahead and flashed the drive. All is well with that drive. On to the Mitsumi. After powering down and connecting just the Mitsumi, upon restart the machine hangs at the windowsxp banner screen.

When I try restarting in SafeMode it hangs at:
\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\Mup.sys

Hi,[quote=weaver55;2175848]Okay…so that works. My computer was able to startup on my winxp disk.

I’m guessing that means I have a registry problem on my drive.[/quote]:iagree: Something messed up with your Windows installation.

Any recommendations?
Check upper&Lower filters: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

[quote=weaver55;2175887]
The drive is appearing again. Computer is unbelievably slow. Going to keep pluggin away.[/quote]Check DMA then. The Pioneer should run in Ultra DMA 4.
See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Thank you mciahel!
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

[quote=weaver55;2175896]Since I can see the drive again, I went ahead and flashed the drive. All is well with that drive. On to the Mitsumi. After powering down and connecting just the Mitsumi, upon restart the machine hangs at the windowsxp banner screen.

When I try restarting in SafeMode it hangs at:
\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\Mup.sys[/quote]
First hit on Google: http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

I’d get rid of that old drive. Maybe hooking up using an IDE/USB adapter is an idea.

Michael

Michael,
Thanks for all your help. I followed your advice and pitched the Mitsumi.

Weave