DVR-112D Firmware question

vbimport

HI all,

One week ago I purchased a DVR-112D and my first action was to upgrade the firmware, after burning about 5/10 DVDs.

I upgraded to firmware 1.22, and after that, all my Transfer Rate tests became horrible, for the new burns and for the ones i made BEFORE the upgrade…

Seems like firmware 1.22 is not keen on the Sonys 16D I use exclusively, wheres the original firmware liked them.

My question: can i revert my firmware to the one that came with the drive??
If its possible, i have to find out what number was that, because i just dont remember!!!

Thanks!!!

First make sure its running in UDMA4 mode. :wink:

Humm…ill try to find that, but…

can I downgraded the firmware version?? is it possible???

@ mabhz,

You should not be attempting to be DownGrading your Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware but should be UpGrading your Pioneer DVR-112D to the newest most current version 1.24 Firmware. There is no advantage to using older out of date obsolete Firmware.

To obtain the most current up date Pioneer DVR-112D Firmware refer the Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917).

Concerning DMA suggest reviewing CD and DVD Burner Read First posting titled “Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks, BJKG!

But this 1.24 firmware is an OFFICIAL one or one of the modded ones i´ve been reading about??

I understand what you said and agree that downgrades should not be done, but just in case i still keep getting bad results on the Sony medias I use (I have used them exclusively for years, I like them and this same recorder was OK with them before i upgraded it…), i would like to know if downgrade is possible, or if I will damage the burner if i try it.

THANKS!!

@ mabhz,

Your original #1 posting stated that you upgraded your newly purchased Pioneer DVR-112D to version 1.22 Firmware. In my #4 posting I was attempting to inform you that Firmware v1.22 isn’t the newest most current version Firmware and suggest flashing your Pioneer DVR-112D the newest most current version 1.24 Firmware.

Apparently from your above question you have not actually reviewed the Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917) or you would not have asked that question.

Don’t be fooled by a recognizable Brand Name. Unfortunately Sony Media is not noted to be stellar Media. The vast majority of Sony branded Media is not actually manufactured by Sony but is sub contracted to various manufactures. Many of these sub contractors are noted for manufacturing poor quality problematic Media. Since Sony Media is manufactured by various manufactures the quality of Sony Media varies from package to package. To obtain consistent quality error free results suggest only using known proven quality error free Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media.

Once again reverting back to an older out of date obsolete Firmware version is not going to improve the performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D. The best performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D is obtained by using the newest most current up to date Firmware version available. In your instance that is Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware.

Concerning your Transfer Rate problem. For the Pioneer DVR-112D to function and operate correctly requires the use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) and operate in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks again, BJKG.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2012990]@ mabhz,
Apparently from your above question you have not actually reviewed the Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Read First posting titled “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917) or you would not have asked that question.[/QUOTE]

Well, unfortunately youre wrong, because I have read and found and did my reasearch on the 1.24 update, and found out that its absent from the USA firmware section of the site, and only present on European and Japanese version of the site. I dont know if there are drives made differently on these countries and which one mine should be, but I know, from experience with my LG 4163 firmware updates, that versions not available on some country sites are because of a reason, and not because someone forgot to upload them. Therefore, I dont want to risk upgrading my already badly-upgraded DVR-112D to a non-fully supported upgrade.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2012990]Don’t be fooled by a recognizable Brand Name. Unfortunately Sony Media is not noted to be stellar Media. The vast majority of Sony branded Media is not actually manufactured by Sony but is sub contracted to various manufactures. Many of these sub contractors are noted for manufacturing poor quality problematic Media. Since Sony Media is manufactured by various manufactures the quality of Sony Media varies from package to package. To obtain consistent quality error free results suggest only using known proven quality error free Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media. [/QUOTE]

Im well aware of that, mostly because i have been reading this very forum for over 5 years so far, and i think i’ve learned my share. But, unfortunaltely, as you may not be aware of, there are people on this forum, including myself, that dont live in the beautiful United States or in any major european country, and therefore, we unfortunately, due to the very 3rd world nature of our countries, never have access to such stellar medias like TY, Verbatim, original Sonys, etc, etc. What we can put our hands on are, at the very best, 2nd or 3rd grade quality media. Yes, Sony has a wide variety of manufacturers, which i have taken the hard work of learning to identify, but belive it or not, Sony is the BEST quality media that we can get our hands upon in our poor country.

I have over 200 blank Sony DVDs here, because as I said, sometimes a good manufacturer batch comes along, and you have to take the oportunity. I have burned over 300 of these on my old reliable LG 4163B, and after testing many brands, found out the best results to be these Sony and the rare Verbatim.

I thank your for your great suggestion of using TY and Verbatim, and I would be very happy to work upon that way, only if I could get may hands on those.

On the Sony quality issue, I just would like to add that my recently purchased DVR-112D burned 10 of these 200 blank medias I have and gave me excellent results on the tests I performed on my LG 4163, and some other Lite On and Benq drives of friends. Right after I upgraded to the 1.22 firmware, all I got was crappy results on the 20 medias I burned and tested. Therefore, one with even an fairly impaired mind would conclude that the previous firmware version was keener on these Sony medias than the marvelous always-better new version.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2012990]Once again reverting back to an older out of date obsolete Firmware version is not going to improve the performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D. The best performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D is obtained by using the newest most current up to date Firmware version available. In your instance that is Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, i have to respectfully disagree. On this very forum, in another section, if you do little research, youll find posts commenting that sometimes new firmwares dont improve support for older media types, and even sometimes, support CAN get worse, which I personally think is the case with my Sonys.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2012990]Concerning your Transfer Rate problem. For the Pioneer DVR-112D to function and operate correctly requires the use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html) and operate in the Ultra DMA Mode 4 (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616).[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!

Now, if someone could PLEASE answer me if firmware downgrade is possible, or it would damage the drive??? I dont want to make a test and risk ruining a 2 week burner.

@ mabhz,

So the link for Official Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware provided in the “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917) posting is at the Pioneer Japanese Web Site. Perchance did you happen to notice that ALL the Official Pioneer Firmwares links contained in the “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” posting are located at the Pioneer Japanese Web Site?

Concerning your desire to revert to old out of date obsolete firmware. Disagree if you chose to but if you review the 57 page “Pioneer DVR-112D/L: Post your scans and questions here (1st look)” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-112d-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-1st-look-201109) posting you will easily see that newer up to date DVR-112D Firmware greatly improves the Disc Quality Scans performance of DVR-112D Drive. Reviewing this data clearly supports my statement “The best performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D is obtained by using the newest most current up to date Firmware version available”.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2013058]@ mabhz,

So the link for Official Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 Firmware provided in the “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917) posting is at the Pioneer Japanese Web Site. Perchance did you happen to notice that ALL the Official Pioneer Firmwares links contained in the “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” posting are located at the Pioneer Japanese Web Site?
[/QUOTE]

Yep, indeed I did so. And thats why I didnt download the upgrade I applied on my drive from these links, but rather from the support section of the US site.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2013058] Concerning your desire to revert to old out of date obsolete firmware. Disagree if you chose to but if you review the 57 page “Pioneer DVR-112D/L: Post your scans and questions here (1st look)” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-112d-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-1st-look-201109) posting you will easily see that newer up to date DVR-112D Firmware greatly improves the Disc Quality Scans performance of DVR-112D Drive. Reviewing this data clearly supports my statement “The best performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D is obtained by using the newest most current up to date Firmware version available”.
[/QUOTE]

Well, my own drive is a blalant proof that it isnt so! Or the scans of the medias burned on the Pioneer AND the LG wouldnt be perfect before the firmware upgrade and just crap after it. :slight_smile:

Well my 2 cents is that both of my 112’s just don’t like Sony media at all and don’t understand why you would want to go back to an older FW when the latest is the best. Now to answer your question yes you can flash it back, I recommend that you look through some of the post to find out how being that you don’t seem to accept anyones advice anyway good luck with flashing back

Just curious… what version of firmware are you using on the two 112 that don like sony??

The first 10 Sony D16 that i burned before doing the stupid firmware upgrade that I regret soo much, gave much better results on the tests done on the 112, LG 4163, Lite ON and BenQ them ALL the Sonys D16 burned on the LG that I tested (over 20 discs).

My 2 cents is that you are using a newer version and not an old like the one that gave me good scans.

@ mabhz,

What makes you believe that your Pioneer DVR-112D is a USofA product that only requires Firmware posted on a USofA Pioneer Web Site?

If you bother to look at the label on your Pioneer DVR-112D you will notice Pioneer Corporation Tokyo Japan.

The Official Pioneer Firmwares posted in the “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-210917) are valid correct Official Pioneer Firmwares. The Pioneer DVD-112D version 1.24 Firmware listed in “Post new firmware and tool ANNOUNCEMENTS here” posting is the valid correct newest most current up to date Official Pioneer Firmware for your Pioneer DVR-112D. If you don’t want to use that Firmware that is your decision.

Regards,
bjkg

The Sony D16 - if made in japan - good. if not - not good.

@ mabhz,

I have two Pioneer DVR-112D’s that originally had version 1.09 Firmware and have progressively installed version 1.15/1.21/1.22/1.24 firmwares as each of the newer firmwares were released. In each of these releases I have noted that the DVR-112D Disc Quality Scans improved with each subsequent firmware release. In EACH of these Firmwares releases the Sony branded Media available in USofA performed poorly. That is why in my #6 posting I attempted to inform you that Sony branded Media is a poor performer and strongly recommend to obtain consistent quality error free results to use know proven quality Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media.

Once again the best performance of your Pioneer DVR-112D will be obtained by using the newest most current up to date Firmware version available. In your instance that is Official Pioneer DVR-112D version 1.24 Firmware.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=mabhz;2013065]
Well, my own drive is a blalant proof that it isnt so! Or the scans of the medias burned on the Pioneer AND the LG wouldnt be perfect before the firmware upgrade and just crap after it. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that is wrong. I still think its an unfixed DMA issue on your drive that made your TRT weird.
The firmware is a completely other area.

Regarding SCANs, which drive have you used?

I checked and Im using DMA 4 and the correct cables. Drive used for testing were the same DVR-112, LG 4163B, Lite ON (dont know the model) and Benq (dont know model either), but both lite on and Benq were purchased in the last 6 months.

And as I said, earlier, Sony medias are the best medias you can put your hands here in my area. And import is not an option. Tayo Yuden is just a strange name noone ever heard about here. Verbatim appeared about 2 years ago, when i bought 100, and never appeared again. Sonys from Japan never appeared, but Taiwan and Malaysia did. Mine are always from Taiwan, because Malaysia are a lot worse.

[QUOTE=mabhz;2013902]I checked and Im using DMA 4 and the correct cables. Drive used for testing were the same DVR-112, LG 4163B, Lite ON (dont know the model) and Benq (dont know model either), but both lite on and Benq were purchased in the last 6 months.

And as I said, earlier, Sony medias are the best medias you can put your hands here in my area. And import is not an option. Tayo Yuden is just a strange name noone ever heard about here. Verbatim appeared about 2 years ago, when i bought 100, and never appeared again. Sonys from Japan never appeared, but Taiwan and Malaysia did. Mine are always from Taiwan, because Malaysia are a lot worse.[/QUOTE]

Sony media is Questionable sometimes for best results with your drive(s) try to use verbatim or T.Y. hopefully you cab find a way to get it. Seriously problem burns are mostly caused by shady media

Sony media is made by many different manufactures so the QA is very questionable, sometimes you get a good batch but more often you get a bad batch

I wonder how I couldn make it clear enought that Tayo Yuden medias DOESNT EXIST in my country??

Verbatim too are non-existent, and dont ask me why. THey just are.

Sonys (Taywan and Malaysia) are the best stuff you can get. After that, you have a WHOLE batch of fake media, with all the famous names. Tayo is sooo unknow here that theres not even fake versions of it!!

@ mabhz,

I guess your location has to remain a Secret.

You know if you let Forum Members known where you are located there is a possibility Forum Members might know of a source of authentic Taiyo Yuden or authentic Verbatim Media in your location.

Regards,
bjkg