DVR-112D and bitsetting?

vbimport

Hi all!!

I just purchased my first batch of DVD+R’s (yeah, its true. I never burned a +R before!) and i need some guidance in their area!

Ive been told on this very forum, another section though, that i should set the bitsetting of my +Rs to -ROM.

The only problem is my Pioneer DVR-112D (firmware 1.22) doesnt seem to do that!!

THe same person told me that there might be a way of doing that in a non-automatic way.

So, my question is: there is a way of changing the bitsetting to -Rom on a DVD112D without installing any weird non-official firmware??

THANKS!!!

No there isn’t.

You need “weird unofficial firmware” - either firmware modified by the MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility, or cross-flashing to Buffalo firmware.

Thanks, Drage, for the explanation.

In this case, i have two other questions:

1 - I never burned DVD+R before, so i dont really know if i REALLY need this bitsetting feature or i can live happylly without it. Do i really need it? I will use the +Rs for Wii games, DVD movies and computer data backup.

2 - In case I REALLY need the bitsetting feature, what are the drawbacks of using any of these alternative firmwares? I mean, there are always some disvantages on using unnoficial firmware. What are the ones involved here?

THANKS!!

you will void your warranty.

as long as you follow the directions and apply the firmware correctly then there is no disadvantages on using the MCSE patched firmware.

THanks for the reply, Troy.

I did google the MCSE (Media Code Speed Edit) and it seems to modify an original/official updat file, correct?

Do i need to “build” one myself, or i can download an already made update file for my DVR-112D??

MCSE seems to have many features to be included on the firmware, but i just need the bitsetting option. What is the RC1 thing? Do i need it too?? ALso, can i update to the same firmware version im using now?

Last but not least: do i REALLY need to have the bitsetting feature? is this really really necessary or i can live without it? I really would prefer not messing with the firmware if thas an OK option.

THANSK!

Hi!!

I decided to give MCSE a try, so i downloaded the 1.22 firmware again, patched it to allow bitsetting, patched the original updater with MCSE too, and applied the patch!

Rebooted the machine, as requested, and when i opened IMGBurn, i still couldnt change the bitsetting!!! :frowning:

I tried the NEC option first, and when i got the same error message as before the firmware update, i tried all other brands to no luck!

What is wrong??? I did everything according to instructions on this forum and on MCSE site!! The update went perfect because i got a message saying it was done and ok.

Any ideas??

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2138959-post761.html

and

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2138976-post764.html

[QUOTE=mabhz;2139964]Hi!!

I decided to give MCSE a try, so i downloaded the 1.22 firmware again, patched it to allow bitsetting, patched the original updater with MCSE too, and applied the patch!

Rebooted the machine, as requested, and when i opened IMGBurn, i still couldnt change the bitsetting!!! :frowning:

I tried the NEC option first, and when i got the same error message as before the firmware update, i tried all other brands to no luck!

What is wrong??? I did everything according to instructions on this forum and on MCSE site!! The update went perfect because i got a message saying it was done and ok.

Any ideas??[/QUOTE]Did you flash your drive with the patched firmware?

as long as you followed the directions then your 112 is automatically bitsetting your dvd+r media. you have no on/off control.

did you review this tutorial Pioneer & MCSE patching Guide

You may want to consider upgrading to a newer firmware such as 1.24, or if you’re feeling brave enough to crossflash with Buffalo firmware you can upgrade to 8.25.

I’m running 8.25 on my Pioneer DVR-112D drives crossflashed to the Buffalo version (a.k.a. Pioneer DVR-112L).

THANKS for all the folks who very nicelly replied to my last post!
I was dead worried that i damaged my 112D, but seems like the bitsetting is done and i dont need ImgBurn to turn it on.

I just was wondering: how can i check a DVD+R after i burned to see if it really was bitsetted to -ROM? Can i do that??

When i open ImgBurn with a DVD+R inside the drive, i still get this information on the right panel:

(…)
Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
[B]Book Type: DVD+R[/B]
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
(…)

???

And YES, i patched with a firwmare i created with MCSE just marking the bitsetting option. And i did follow ALL the instructions.

COncerning the BUfallo thing, will it give me any advantage over the MCSE patched firmware im using?

THANKS, folks!

Scroll down further in the right hand window to information last recorded. This will only tell you if you have written to the Dvd, it won’t tell you for a blank Dvd.

"(…)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
[B]Book Type: DVD-ROM[/B]
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
(…)

Cooooool!!!
I have no idea how to thank you all, guys!! This is definitely on of the best forum in the internet, considering all the different areas you have. Folks here are incredibly helpfull and always patiente with newbies and stupid folks like me!

I believe, from what i read about +R’s, that they are a better option than -R, specially now that my 112D can burn -Roms, right??
Any comment about Sony’s D21-00 made in Taiwan? Are they any good (better than -R made in Malaysia and Mexico)???

Last bot not least:

the BUfallo thing, will it give me any advantage over the MCSE patched firmware im using?

THANKS!!

Upgrading your firmware from 1.22 to 1.24 will bring you these benefits as seen in the official change history:

1.24 CD-R Writability has improved.

Cross-flashing from 112D to 112L will add DVD-RAM writing and Labelflash/DiscT@2 capability.

The Buffalo 8.25 firmware apparently introduces some additional improvement over 8.24/1.24, but I can’t name them off the top of my head (in other words: I don’t remember and I’m too lazy to search for the answer).

THe only thing i wish my 112D would improve is its reading hability.

Faulty DVDs are NEVER read well on this drive. I have to relay on my OLD and already dead LG 4163B to read these discs. It cant burn anymore, but its a hell of a reader! Specially protected discs.

@ mabhz,

Explain in detail exactly what you mean by the above quoted statement.

If a DVD is ‘Faulty’ in that the data was recorded improperly to the DVD Media the BEST DVD Burner in the world is not somehow magically going to be able to to repair and correctly Read improperly recorded Data.

The pertinent question is exactly how the particular DVD became ‘Faulty’ in the first place. The major cause of ‘Faulty DVDs’ is the use of poor quality cheap problematic blank DVD Media and/or improper recording technique.

Regards,
bjkg

O geezz, i thought that it was clear enough, but lets go…

Sometimes you rent a DVD from a store and try to rip it to your DVD, but get some errors on DVDDecrypter, even after cleaning the disk. Most of the DVDs i burn on my Samsung stand alone DR150 recorder give me read errors on the 99% part of the disc.

My lg4673 can read in all these situations, but the 112D cant.

It’s true that the 112 [and many other Pioneer drives] are picky readers at times. This is why we have other drives that are good readers, and we use the 112 [and those other picky drives] to identify “bad” discs. :slight_smile:

Hmm… makes sense! Can i assume the LG 4163B is a good reader??

Would you suggest another one?

BUt what exactly are the strong points of the Pioneers (specially 112D)??

The 4163B is or in my case was a very good reader.