DVR-111C(DVR-R200) @ Frys in CA - Firmware for update?

vbimport

went into frys last night in here in northern ca, and they had retail packaged DVR-111C (w/lightscribe) on sale w/$20 mail-in rebate… i picked one up to use with an external USB2.0/FW case mostly for the lightscribe feature (family wants wedding dvds and no funky labels)

i’m trying to figure out if the unit can be updated using TDB firmware posts or if that will fry (no pun intended) it? i know the lightscribe burner seems to be a separate small board, but i assume the firmware on the drive to run the lightscribe board may need some specialized calls in firmware.

anyone have one of these drives and successfully flashed its firmware? i quick google shows no ‘official’ firmware anywhere.

thanks!
robin

None were reported yst.

Could you please post some info about it when you have got it?

here’s what discinfo tells me (the top of the drive has a mfg sticker of feb 2007… its on sale again this weekend at frys for $50 after a $20 rebate…

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : PIONEER
MODEL : DVD-RW DVR-111C
REVISION : 1.06
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 06/10/06 PIONEER
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : GADL900391WL
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2000KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 5
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : Not set
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 40

Hm, nice.

Did you try Lightscribe with it yet?

OMG Fry’s you have to watch them as they sell a lot of remanufactured stuff, also the info on the burner looks good, good luck with your burns

yah… i’m mostly a Mac-head, so i threw the drive in a FW/USB2.0 case and hooked it up to my MacBookPro… Toast Titanium 8 recognized the drive but told me that the 16X HP DVD+R Lightscribe media was only max 12X (which is why i’m still looking to figure out if i can safely use Brother Vlad’s firmware to bring the drive up to 1.29, same as the 111D’s)

anyway, Toast Titanium 8 comes with a labeling program called Disc Cover RE which is suppose to handle Lightscribe… after going over to the Lightscribe web site and downloading the Mac driver, DC-RE recognized the drive, but my three attempts to burn a label resulted in a crash of the program… so i went to the roxio support board and saw that other folks were having the same problem with Lightscribe burns causing a crash…

but one of the replies mentioned that LaCie had a free download of a full Lightscribe labeling program for the Mac on their website (windows and linux, too, i think), so i downloaded that and did an install…

and viola! its a slow process (about 23 minutes for a high qual burn of a full face of graphics and text), but it works… the HP DVD media shows fairly low contrast (folks have said Verbatim is better as a Lightscribe DVD canvas), but the cool thing about Lightscribe is that you can run the disc through again and again… the position is all registered, so it just darkens the contrast… two passes works fine for what i need… a clean label thats pretty professional…

i won’t use the lightscribe for my everyday labeling (sharpie is just fine) but for AV projects for my clients, its a nice delivery system.

now if i could only figure out if i can update the firmware :slight_smile:

cheers!
r

At least it works, the time is normal for HQ.

Try to put your external onto another “pc” and ask a friend to run the update during windooze.

Good Luck!

ah… interesting idea… i have a PC (old sony vaio mini-notebook)… are you saying that if i plug the burner into the USB port on my vaio and then run the Windows Update, it’ll may find a firmware update for the external hardware? or is there a different updater you were suggesting?

this is very un-mac-like, so i never thought about it… :eek:

thanks!
r

NO, He aint saying that you can get a new firmware through Windows Update.

He means to connect the writer to a Windows PC and download the firmware you want and use the Windows PC to flash the drive.

ah… thanks… actually i’m pretty okay with flashing my drives (maybe one step above a novice) using tools on my windows machine…

what i don’t know is whether there is some special/specific code in the 111C’s firmware to support Lightscribe, so that if i head over to TDB’s site and download 8.29 (for example) for the 111D or 111XL, if i’ll lose Lightscribe… and since i haven’t found a site that has even 1.06 for the 111C (which is what’s on my drive) i won’t be able to even get back to what i have.

sorry if i wasn’t clear… as i said… only one step above novice! :iagree:

cheers
robin

Only try to flash with offical firmwares yet, that means firmwares from Pioneers own sites.

robingo88,
I think that’s good considering you are using an external enclosure case even though you didn’t mention if you were using Firewire or USB 2.0. You might be able to get a 16x max burn speed via Firewire, but I cannot guarantee that since I don’t know what chipset is used for your external enclosure case.
My point is that you get 12x max not because of the firmware of your drive.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119149

Does anyone here still have this drive? I need the firmware and kernel dump for testing…