DVR-111 making coasters

vbimport

Hi, i’ve a strange problem with my recorder. it seems to work fine, but after burning 3-4 DVDs in a row it starts to make coasters, no matter what, SL, DL, max speed, low speed, different OS, different FWs…

Seems not an cable or IDE channel problem as, other LG-H55L don’t have the same problem, it works just fine in the same condition.

any idea?

thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A possible cause is a drive overheating.

It is better to wait at least a couple of minutes at the end of burn before to start another writing, so the drive can cool up a bit

thanks for the reply.
so, you think adding a fan below the recorder should do the trick?

Once I had coaster creation issues if I ripped, shrunk and burned more than 2 DVDs, but rebooting after every second rip, shrink and burn foxed the problem. I suspect it may have been either memory or possibly CPU speed issues for my instances. I don’t know if your problem may be same as mine, but you could try rebooting after every 2 burns to see if it fixes the problem.

i’ll give it a try too, but i doubt that 4GB (well, 3.something, 32bit OS) of mem and a Q6600 are lacking memory or speed issue.

I’m not sure that putting a fan over the drive is sufficient, but it can certainly help. The problem is that most cases don’t allow to put a fan over an optical drive, so I can’t see how you can do this.

Blowing air in the drive with the tray open can bring a lot of dust over the optical pickup, so is definitely a bad idea.

The best solution is waiting for a 2-3 minutes and then burn another disc. If you also verify the disc after the burn, this will cause further warming so if possible you should verify just burned discs with a different drive.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2486077]Once I had coaster creation issues if I ripped, shrunk and burned more than 2 DVDs, but rebooting after every second rip, shrink and burn foxed the problem. I suspect it may have been either memory or possibly CPU speed issues for my instances. I don’t know if your problem may be same as mine, but you could try rebooting after every 2 burns to see if it fixes the problem.[/QUOTE]

A reboot doesn’t cause a faster drive cooling. I too suspect that in your case there is some sort of hardware problem, or a problem in drivers (chipset drivers for example) that cause system instability.

[QUOTE=geno888;2486152]I’m not sure that putting a fan over the drive is sufficient, but it can certainly help. The problem is that most cases don’t allow to put a fan over an optical drive, so I can’t see how you can do this.
[/QUOTE]
putting an old 5’1/4 to 3’1/2 bay in between the two ODD, drilling an hole in it to put the fan into.

[QUOTE=agony;2486285]putting an old 5’1/4 to 3’1/2 bay in between the two ODD, drilling an hole in it to put the fan into.[/QUOTE]

Case modding :bigsmile:

Maybe the used RAM is not healthy.

Check it using memtest.

I just remembered the PC I had problems shrinking and burning more than 2 movie backups later developed more problems which turned out to be due to 2 bad memory modules. I think chef could be right, and I suggest testing the memory and replace it if it tests bad.