DVR-110 and DVR-A10XL on Pioneer OZ website

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdwriters/dvr-110/index.html
DVR-110

Write Support
DVD DVD-R (Ver 2.0 for General disc only), DVD-R DL (Dual Layer, Ver 3.0), DVD-RW (Ver 1,0, 1.1 & 1.2), DVD+R (Ver 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2), +R DL (Double Layer Ver 1.0), +RW (Ver 1.1 & 1.2), +RW High Speed (Ver 1.0), DVD-RAM (Ver 2.0 & 2.1, non-cartridge version)
CD CD-R (Type 74, 650MB / Type 80, 700MB), CD-RW (including HS, US, US+)

Read Support
DVD DVD-ROM (Single and Dual Layer), DVD-RAM (Ver 2.0 & 2.1 non-cartridge version), DVD-R, DVD-R DL (Dual Layer), DVD-RW, +R, +R DL (Double Layer), +RW
CD CD-ROM(Mode 1), CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form1, form 2), CD-Text, CD-DA, CD-Extra, Video CD, PhotoCD (Single & Multiple session), CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW (including HS, US, US+)

Write Speed
DVD-R 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD-RW 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD-R DL 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x
DVD+R 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x. 2.4x
DVD+RW 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
DVD+R DL 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
DVD-RAM 5x, 3x, 2x
8cm DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW with Adapter 2x, 1x
CD-R 40x, 32x, 24x, 16x, 10x
CD-RW 32x, 24x, 20x, 16x, 10x, 4x

An 80-wire IDE cable is required for 16X DVD writing speed.

Read Speed
DVD-ROM (single) Max 16x CAV
DVD-ROM (dual) Max 12x CAV
DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW MAX 12x CAV
DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW Max 12x CAV
DVD-RAM Max 5x CLV
DVD-Video (with CSS, Single / Dual Layer) 5x CAV
DVD-Video (Dual Layer) 5x CAV
CD-ROM, CD-R Max 40x CAV
CD-RW Max 32x CAV
Video CD 9.3x CAV

Installation
Mounting Orientation Horizontal and Verticle
Interface ATAPI (ATA-5, SFF-80980 Ver.5)
IDE Data Transfer Mode PIO Mode 4, Multi Word DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 4
Data Buffer (size) 2 MBytes (Write, Read)
Dimensions (W x H x D) 148mm x 42.3mm x 180mm

*Cautions
. Specific application program(s) that support above format(s) required.
. Supported media required for specific DVD & CD writing speeds.
. To perform DVD writing at 12x or 16x speeds, use Pioneer-designate disc media.

RPC setting
The DVR-110 includes Regional Playback Control (RPC Phase II Mode). Region changes can be
made up to five(5) times including the initial setting. Be aware that the fifth(5th) change will be
PERMANENT. Therefore, please use caution when changing the region code on the DVR-110
The method of changing the region code number may vary on the decoder or operating system used.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/computer/dvdwriters/dvra10xl/index.html
Specifications DVR-A10XL

Write Support
DVD DVD-R (Ver 2.0 for General disc only), DVD-R DL (Dual Layer, Ver 3.0), DVD-RW (Ver 1,0, 1.1 & 1.2), DVD+R (Ver 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2), +R DL (Double Layer Ver 1.0), +RW (Ver 1.1 & 1.2), +RW High Speed (Ver 1.0), DVD-RAM (Ver 2.0 & 2.1, non-cartridge version)
CD CD-R (Type 74, 650MB / Type 80, 700MB), CD-RW (including HS, US, US+)

Read Support
DVD DVD-ROM (Single and Dual Layer), DVD-RAM (Ver 2.0 & 2.1 non-cartridge version), DVD-R, DVD-R DL (Dual Layer), DVD-RW, +R, +R DL (Double Layer), +RW
CD CD-ROM(Mode 1), CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form1, form 2), CD-Text, CD-DA, CD-Extra, Video CD, PhotoCD (Single & Multiple session), CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW (including HS, US, US+)

Write Speed
DVD-R 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD-RW 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x
DVD-R DL 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x
DVD+RW 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
DVD+R DL 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
DVD-RAM 5x, 3x, 2x
8cm DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW with Adapter 2x, 1x
CD-R 40x, 32x, 24x, 16x, 10x
CD-RW 32x, 24x, 20x, 16x, 10x, 4x

Read Speed
DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW MAX 12x CAV
DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW Max 12x CAV
DVD-RAM Max 5x CLV
DVD-Video (with CSS, Single / Dual Layer) 5x CAV
DVD-Video (Dual Layer) 5x CAV
CD-ROM, CD-R Max 40x CAV
CD-RW Max 32x CAV
Video CD 9.3x CAV

Installation
Interface ATAPI (ATA-5, SFF-80980 Ver.5)
IDE Data Transfer Mode PIO Mode 4, Multi Word DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 4
DVD+RW 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
DVD+R DL*3 6x, 4x, 2.4x
CD-R 40x, 32x, 24x, 16x, 10x, 4x
CD-RW 24x, 20x, 16x, 10x, 4x

Read Speed
DVD-R, DVD+R MAX 12x CAV
DVD-RW,DVD+RW Max 8x CAV
DVD+DL MAX 8x CAV
DVD-RAM Max 2x CLV
CD-ROM, CD-R Max 40x CAV
CD-RW Max 32x CAV
IDE Interface ATAPI PIO Mode 4, Multi word DMA Mode 2 16.6 Mbytes/sec. Ultra DMA mode 4

66.6 MBytes/sec.

Notes:
. Specific application program(s) that support above format(s) required.
. Supported media required for specific DVD & CD writing speeds.
. To perform DVD writing at 12x or 16x speeds, use Pioneer-designate disc media.

RPC setting
The DVR-A10XL includes Regional Playback Control(RPC Phase II Mode). Region changes can be
made up to five(5) times including the initial setting. Be aware that the fifth(5th) change will be
PERMANENT. Therefore, please use caution when changing the region code on the DVR-A10XL
The method of changing the region code number may vary on the decoder or operating system used.

PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENT:
To achieve the specified writing and reading performance it is important that the DVR-A10XL is connected to the IDE port via an 80 way ribbon cable and that the IDE port is at least UDMA 66 or above.

Hmm still nothing to get over excited about, dvd-rw 6x still and still cant read damn dvd media it wtires at 16x back at same speed its only 12x, how can NEC do this its same chip they use?.

So the big difference that the XL provides is:

Write-strategy setting to automatically set the write strategy for each of used discs by selecting from the optimum write-strategy data stored in the writers.
Multi-Effect Liquid Crystal Tilt Compensator to improve the recording and playback characteristics by adding astigmatism correction to the existing tilt correction and spherical aberration correction.

Various original technologies to improve quality and reliability in recording
Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber
Buffer Under-run Protection
Precision Recording Technology

High-speed recording and low noise operation
Pioneer’s original honey comb structure and other improvements to the internal structure have drastically reduced operation noise during high speed rotation.
Performance Adjusting Firmware automatically optimizes the disc’s rotation speed depending on user’s requirements and keeps operation noise at the minimum in the write and read modes.

What other speed would DVD-RW be? 6x is the fastest speed for DVD-RW the DVD Forum has created.

AND ? the dvd dl speed on 108 and 109 were above current media at time of drives release, ive seen drivers with 8x -/+rw popping up, they could overspeed it same as they can do 8x on a 2.4x dl disc from Vebatium.

You cannot overspeed rewritable media. Period. And the 110/A10 supports 8x DVD+RW. I don’t understand your complaint.

Which drive have you seen with 8X -RW?

I spoke to sales person at CPL (cpl.net.au) today, the DVR110 (not D) will be available as of 10/10/05 by order (1 day to get) and they most likely will have stock in store as of 13/10/05. CPL will be checking on the availabilty of A10 on the 10/10/05 so I will let you know when that should be in store. :wink:

Exactly that is so.
Overspeeding RW would you and your drive beam straight into the damage area.

Bollocks, i ran Infiniti cdrw 10x at 12x in my teac drives, it auto set them to this. i complain cause i feel i can ok, i can say wtf ever i like as i buy pioneer drives, and each model is barely better then previous, i only swap out as it cost me next to nothing as this is my line of income (ie pcs).

So to say any RW media cant overspeed is false even if its cdrw and only 2x faster then media is rated., there will be little to no difference in the 4x +rw to new 8x +rw media same as the pioneer 110 lets you overspeed the 2.4x +dl instead of buying 8x dl media thats been sitting on the http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/ site for months with no avail and no price.

If you think it’s possible to overspeed DVDRW media, then feel free to explain why NO ONE has done so. NO ONE. Check the Lite-On forum to see what happened when people tried to overspeed DVD RW media using omnipatcher. CD-RW is not DVD RW.

Hey Humeyboy, back off the caffeine, man!

OK, to say it clearly, we spoke about DVD RW media, never CD rw.
Nor we spoke about DL media, which has nothing to do with RW anyway…

Did i say any of you did, i dont give a toss if it is dvdrw or cdrw it is still RW and to say rewritable media cant be oversped is false.

It seems you are always jumping on peeps who talk bad of pioneer, well i cant say wtf i like and IMO the 110 so far is not much more then 109, im not a pioneer fanboy and btw i dont drink coffee.

Do any you actually just burn a disc with your writer and put it away till next time you need, or you jack of over scans for hours ?.

I tried with OP and Liteon drive.
Conclusion.
Is not possible. The quality burns are a mess. Not readable by any player, even with the same burner.

We are sure that the both medias are the same in terms of materials and structure.
But the dye quality of RW high speed media are very superior compared with normal RW media. So it can be readed by players without problems.

I remember when I opened a hole in my 720 Kb 3 1/2" diskettes to make it 1.44 Mb… He he he… It worked, but the stored data get lost in a couple of days and the diskettes went unreadable… The same thing will happen if you want to overspeed your RW media.

The high speed and the normal RW medias are the same, the difference is the quality of the dye, with less imperfections in the inner structure, in order to resist the higher amount of power needed for the optical parts to make posible burns at higher speeds…

Some media found in the market could exceed the standard requirements needed, so it can be used to overspeed. This is common in R media. But due to the cost and materials used in RW discs, maybe you’ll never see this situation in RW camp

Apart from Infiniti High Speed CDRW 10x that do 12x in any my teacs that could do 16xcdrw 24xcdrw or 32x cdrw over the years.

Dont matter much as i now use 32xcdrw media.

Still it is false to say any RW media cant be oversped.

Another thing is this forum is open to peeps who want to either say good things or bad things about pioneer.

No one denies that the A10 is only a minor upgrade over the A09, but that’s how DVD burners are going to be these days (look at the BenQ DW1620 vs the DW1640, or the various LG 16x burners that have come out since the GSA-4163B). We’ve already hit the max speed for SL media at 16x so now the only real changes are going to be speeds of DL, RW and RAM. And as you have seen, no one overspeeds DVDRW media, so the speeds will be whatever the standards are at the time, in this case 8x for DVD+RW and 6x for DVD-RW.

Today i dont care about overspeeding, i buy 16x dvd+/-r and i got dvd-rw 6x but still waiting on the the site i listed above getting the price and selling the dvd+rw 8x they listed for months, i however dont think its much to ask for pioneer to get real and let a drive read back dvd-/+r media its burnt at 16x back at 16x, instead of 12x, NEC can do it and its same chip, i see no reason pioneer cant do it they do allow 16x reading of dvdrom/dvd-video.

This is all IMO and im entitled to it, and i see others getting jumped on by fanboys for saying something negative about pioneer.

Well, you got me on that one, as to why the read speed is still 12x, but Pioneer’s always been fairly conservative; look at the A08: Their very first “16x” burner used a slow Z-CLV write strategy for 16x! It would be nice if Pioneer would fix the 16x CAV lead out problems that both the A09 and A10 have.

Spoke to CPL today and they will have the DVR-110 on their price list on thursday (www.cpl.net.au), the A10 may not be in stock until the end of the month I will keep you informed. :stuck_out_tongue: