DVR 109 - Misleading advertising

vbimport

After waiting many months for the 109 to come out, I picked one up yesterday from a store which had only taken order of the 109’s about two hours earlier.

The instructions provided with the burner state the maximum write speed and has two shapes, one corresponding to ZCLV (triangle) and the other to CAV
(star *).

Speeds listed for (DVD-R) media are 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X*,12X* and 16X*.

I cannot access 1X, 2X or 4X on 8X media, those speeds are only accessable on 4X media. Is there a mention of this ANYWHERE on this ‘instruction sheet’ ? NO… On Pioneers Australian web site? NOPE… Not a word… :frowning:

Insert 8X media into the drive, start doing a burn… Burn starts at 6X then at 9%, jumps to 8X… This is not CAV writing is it? Another misrepresentation from Pioneer.

I’ve always burnt my DVD’s on my Sony 510 at 2X, as Kprobe scans show this to create very low error rates on certain media that at high speeds (4X) has a higher error rate.

If all advertising from Pioneer says 1X -> 16X and I buy 8X media that states (and using verbatim media as an example 'This disc complies with DVD-R Specification version 2.0 (1-8X)) then I SHOULD be able to select lower speeds as the media allows.

I’ve sent an email to pioneer asking clarification on this, and depending on their response (or possibly lack of), intend to file a formal complaint with consumer affairs that Pioneer has used misleading and deceptive advertising.

Perhaps if we can get enough people who have felt cheated by Pioneer, we can file a class action suit against Pioneer? Show DVD manufacturers we will not be lied to!. :frowning:

I cannot access 1X, 2X or 4X on 8X media, those speeds are only accessable on 4X media.

Burning at slower speeds on faster media can cause even higher error rates, the whole idea behind getting better results burning at slower speeds on faster media in a high speed drive is just plain rubbish in ‘most’ cases

I think you need to mellow out a bit dude.

Why do want to burn 8X media at X1 anyway? Unlike they “old” days where selecting X1 might have given you better compatibility, it simply isn’t true anymore, modern media is designed to give an optimum burn at the rated speed or in a band of speeds, and going outside this band can actually give you worse results with modern burners. This is why Pioneer (and many other brands) won’t burn 8X media below a 4X rate, eg a DVR-108 drive will burn Ritek G05’s at 4X 6X and 8X. But this is dependent on the manufacturer’s testing for particular media types.

Hell the manufactures do do testing you know to give the best writing speeds and strategies they can for a media series to give you a good burn, heck look at the G05’s again an 8X media that the 108 will burn at X12, you want to do them for false advertising for that too for burning over the media’s rated speed?

If you want to burn at X1 use a X4 rated media like the G04’s, which will indeed burn at X1 (and X2, X4 for that matter).

The fact of the matter is if you want to burn at X1 then use the appropriate media for that burning speed and not the faster rated medias.

Besides there is a noted comment in the drives specification about speeds being quote “a media specific feature” unquote.

The only part I can agree with you on is the writing strategy complaint, however I feel personally that Pioneer will fix this up in a later firmware revision, my bet is most likely when they enable DVD-R DL and 8X DVD+RW are ratified.

Whether high speed media is good for lower burning speed or not, users should have rights to select… :slight_smile:

And the PCAV、CAV writing mode is specific to some certified 16x media, so I also think Pioneer is playing some word game ie. misleading somewhat… :a

Lots of new media will burn worse at too slow a speed. A 8x disc at 1x or even 2x will not yield great results. They have been calibrated for higher spin rates.

It’s also a big mistake to think all drives will be 100% perfect the month they are released. This has never been the case with ANY of the drives I have owned since 2001. Give it a couple of months to catch up. If that’s not good enough, buy another drive that is a bit more seasoned. New hardware is always a gamble. So, right now, not ALL 16x media is supported by the drive.

:rolleyes: