Hi, I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR-109 to be my first ever DVD writer, only i'm having some issues...
A friend has in the past burnt me some disks on their Pioneer 108, they always used Datasafe 8x -r disks and my DVD reader read them just fine (Lite-on XJ-HD166S).
I've bought a load of the same media, but none of the burns i have done on my Pioneer 109 can be read on the Lite-on drive. It just spins down as soon as it takes a look, as if it can't make head-nor-tail of the TOC.
This is quite difficult to describe so i'll summarise. haha.
- XJ-HD166S can read disks made on a Pioneer 108 but not disks made on my new Pioneer 109.
- The Pioneer 109 can read its own burns.
- Media is the same (Datasafe 8x dvd-r)
- Tried burns done at 4x, 8x and 12x
- Both data disks done with Nero and DVD-Video disks made with DVD-Shrink have the same issue.
- I've flashed the 109 to v1.09
- Our Tosh DVD Player STB can play films burnt on the 109 fine.
- The 109 isn't very good at dealing with scratched DVD's (Don't know if this is relevant).
I cannot test the disk quality with cd-speed as it doesn't appear to be compatible with the 109 (The start button is either greyed out completely or it says failed to initialise).
So, it appears to me that either my 109 is faulty and isn't producing quality burns or somehow the burns are not compatible with the 166S even though the 108's burns were.
This is really annoying because i was originally going to order a 108 but all the online stores had stopped selling it
Should i be worried and consider sending the drive back? OR, should i stick with the drive and just put it down to compatibility issues?