DVR 109 and DMA setting

vbimport

Problem I had with pioneer 109

I changed out my lg 4040B for a new pioneer 109 and it worked great to burn my 4X disk. Then I read on one of the forums about the DMA being set to four. I went to control panel and checked my DMA settings for the 109, and I found it was set at DMA 2. After trying a few things I went to the computer BIOS and changed my secondary IDE controller from auto to DVD-RW and removed my secondary IDE controller and let windows install everything again. The pioneer 109 was now shown as DMA-4. This then caused the drive to have DMA failures and would not read any disk. I could not seem to get the DMA setting to go back to DMA 2. After some more reading on the specs. about needing an 80 pin IDE cable for 16X, I then remembered that the cable for my drives was 40 pin not 80 pin. Well a simple steal of the 80 pin IDE cable from my old computers hardrive and installing it to the pioneer 109 and it worked great. I then recheck the lg 4040B specs. They told me that it only needed the 40 pin cable since it only worked at DMA 2, Someone should post this in big letters on the forum for idiots like me so we do not waste our time.

SOME OF THE NEW 16X DVD DRIVES NEED 80 PIN IDE CABLES FOR THEM TO WORK AT DMA 4 AND BURN AT 16X. MOST OLDER DVD DRIVES ONLY NEEDED 40 PIN SO CHECK.

Pioneer info with drive said nothing about needing it for the DMA 4 setting but did for the 16X

Usually when you get a retail package they will provide a 80 pin cable if needed, OEM are for system integrator and does not include that kind of thing since they assume you know!

Another thing critical to remember is that XP will DISABLE for good UDMA if it got too many error here’s a “litle” text…

UDMA and XP

Yes XP will slow down your tranfer mode 1 slot each time it gets so many errors (3 i think each time).

Unistall the eide/ata channel in device manager and reboot let it reinstall and you should be good if you have sorted initual issue causing the problem.