DVR-108 burning slow!

vbimport

I just received my DVR-108 yesterday. I’m using Ritek 8x media and can’t get anything to burn over 4.5 - 5.0x. I’ve tried the following and nothing helps…

1. Hooked up as the primary drive and even disconnected the secondary and that didn’t help

2. Just purchased an 80-wire IDE cable…no help

3. Updated firmware to 1.18 after trying 1.14 that was on it when it arrived.

My driver is 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) if this needs to be updated/upgraded, please post a link that will help me.

You guys seem VERY knowledgeable and I appreciate any and all help.

Thanx!

make sure the drive is in DMA mode and the jumper is set correctly. here’s a link on how to set to DMA mode.
using XP: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625
using WINDOWS 2000: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9668

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

I’m sorry. I forgot to mention in my first message that its set to DMA mode.

What software are you using and are the hdd’s defragmented?

In PIO mode it wouldn’t have reached even 4,5-5X speed. It’s something else. :wink:

Does the buffer get to 0% when the burning process is being done ?

The buffer does drop to zero at least twice during each burn.

I use CopytoDVD, Nero, and RecordNow. I’ve never reached 6x burning speed using any of these programs.

How do I adjust the jumper? I’m not sure what that is.

I defragged my HD and its still not any faster.

Thanks for your help guys! I really do appreciate it! Got anymore ideas?

If you burn an ISO (or any other supported) image file with DVD Decrypter, you can monitor your actual write speed and buffers at the same time.
Buffer drops can be due to wrong Windows settings (too much pagefile usage), not enough RAM, etc.
BTW, do you have two HDs or only the one where the system installed to?
If you have more than one, try to burn from the non-system HD.

How would I adjust my Windows settings? I don’t have any other programs running (except those that auto-run in the background) while I’m burning. I’ve watched to see how much CPU usage I’m using while burning and it rarely jumps above 60% or so. I have a 2.8ghz Celeron with 512MB memory. That’s enough to burn properly, right?

I also have used Prodisc 8x media and it burns at the exact same rate as the Ritek 8x. While using CopytoDVD that’s bundled with 1-Click DVD Copy, it starts the burn process at .55x and then jumps to 5.86 and never climbs above that. It shows that the average speed during the entire burn process is around 5x.

I’ve looked at other threads where people had similar slow problems and have tried everything that’s been mentioned. One question though, I bought my computer new in May/04. I haven’t made any driver updates or anything like that. The only upgrades I’ve made are the DVR-108 burner and I also installed a 80-wire IDE cable. Could it be that I need to update a driver or something? If so, could you give me a link or something to tell me how/where to download it?

And I only have 1 80GB HD.

Thanx again folks!

It is very probably that your HDD does not support the speed you are writing at. This is the cause of the slowdown: after the buffer has gone to 0% it has to be refilled in order for the burn to restart, and this takes a while. Then the burning starts again but at lower speeds than the one you were writing before because the buffer would get to 0% again.

Somewhere in rpc1.org forum I have seen a post with some utilities to check your HDD transfer rate (or you can use Nero DriveSpeed as well). I think dhc014 knows at least one of them.

So its likely that a computer that was made brand new this year with a 2.8 ghz processor and 512mb of memory might have come installed with a HDD that’s too slow to burn DVDs at the proper speed?

You must be remembering this topic: Is your system fast enough for High Speed Burning

OK, my HDD speed averages 31.8 mbps which is plenty fast enough for burning at 16x. I did some more testing and I’ve found that when using Prodisc 8x blanks, I maintained a burn speed of 5.86 - 5.87x throughout the entire burn with no buffer drops. I still can’t get my burner to go above that rate even with Ritek G05 media. How come?

Because of the discs.

dhc, I got 2 batches of bad discs?