DVP 5990 usb issues

Hi,
Just got a phillips dvp 5990 and I’m having trouble connecting my external hard drive. I have read reviews stating that people have used external hard drives to play movies directly. When I plug the hard drive in the player doesn’t read anything on it. I can put the exact same movie on a thumb drive and it will read it fine.

I’m using a western digital 500gb external hard drive. Anyone know why this won’t work?

Have you formated your harddrive to FAT 32?? This is necessary for player to read data via USB port.

well i tried to format the hard drive last night. i looked up how to do it so i opened cmd and typed:
format F: /FS:FAT32

it ran the ENTIRE format (~2hrs) and told me the drive was too big to format in FAT32. the drive is a western digital 500gb external hard drive.

any suggestions on what to do?

ok, so i figured it out. a program called EASEUS partition manager (FREE) converted to FAT32 in less than 2 minutes! just tested on my dvd player and it works great.

[QUOTE=slapshotman;2194267]Hi,
Just got a phillips dvp 5990 and I’m having trouble connecting my external hard drive. I have read reviews stating that people have used external hard drives to play movies directly. When I plug the hard drive in the player doesn’t read anything on it. I can put the exact same movie on a thumb drive and it will read it fine.

I’m using a western digital 500gb external hard drive. Anyone know why this won’t work?[/QUOTE]

Hi, Just wondering did you fix the problem? I have a same problem (500 gb WD passport HD) so if you know how to fix it pls. email me at (removed) Thanks! James

Hi and Welcome!

the solution was posted in post#4 of this thread.

A FAT32 format utility (which works only with WD drives) is available on WD support website.

Michael