DVO642/37 plays CDs but not DVDs

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVP642 DivX DVD Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Sorry if this is an old chestnut. I did try to search for prior posts on the topic. Please could someone refer this to a more appropriate forum if I’m being rude.

My trusty DVP642/37 has suddenly stopped playing DVDs. It still plays CDs OK. On inserting any region of DVD it says “loading disk” spins a bit, stops, spins a bit, stops and continues in the fashion for about a minute and then spits out the DVD.

I have looked at the PCBs and all components look pristine as far as I can tell.

Any clues. I really like it so I’d hate to have to bin it.

//Mike

From the tone of your post, I’d guess that you’ve had this drive for a while; cleaning the lens and seating point for the disks might help, but the best guess is that the laser is on the way out and it’s time for a new bit of kit. CDs have much larger pits than DVDs and so can be read more easily.

Sláinte

midders

Midders,
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I did try cleaning the obvious mechanical bits to no effect. I guess this is going to the garbage.

Mike