DVI to RGB = DVI YPbPr?

I’m looking to get a set of cables for various connection conversions. If I buy a cable such as this one for example, will that get me both an RGB compatible and an YPbPr compatible cable in one? No-one on eBay, Amazon, etc seems to make a distinction but I thought they worked very differently.

On a related note, is it worth buying cables like this from eBay or Amazon? A lot have gold plating, double layers of shielding and so forth, but they are still very cheap.

[QUOTE=rassilon256;2553969]If I buy a cable such as this one for example[/QUOTE]

I know that cable, have been working with it years ago. It’s a complete crap unstable unshielded cable.

Okay, how can you tell it from any other cheap Asian cable on the internet? And how would you tell a good one? I can’t get the ones I want in shops around here, and I’d like to save some money if possible.

And my original question?

I don’t have answers for you, but thought I would mention www.monoprice.com

It is one of the most recommended sites online for cables and adapters.

[QUOTE=rassilon256;2553978]Okay, how can you tell it from any other cheap Asian cable on the internet?[/quote] Notic how the three wires come straight out the plastic enclosure.

And how would you tell a good one?
They’re shielded a bit better.

And my original question?
See wikipedia.

Thanks Kerry56, I’ll check that out in a moment.

Mr. Belvedere, that Wikipedia article was what got me confused by online sellers. Based on that, if I buy a cable that transfers DVI-out to RGB-in, that will not be also capable of transferring DVI-out to YPbPr-in. Is that correct?

[QUOTE=rassilon256;2554198]Thanks Kerry56, I’ll check that out in a moment.

Mr. Belvedere, that Wikipedia article was what got me confused by online sellers. Based on that, if I buy a cable that transfers DVI-out to RGB-in, that will not be also capable of transferring DVI-out to YPbPr-in. Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

As i understood it:

The “Yipper” technology just synchs on a differen channel than RGB. Therefore a DVI->RGB will not be a DVI->Yipper or vice versa.

Yipper is also for HD content, RGB isn’t.

On top of that, the Wikipedia page mentioned most (lame) manufacturers label their cables or their inputs wrong.

Great, thanks. It was somewhat hypothetical anyway, I can’t remember ever seeing RGB. But now I know I need to get the right one.