DVDXcopy process question

Greets all, quick question for ya. I have noticed that while making backups of my movies the process for actually burning the disc takes a mere 30 minutes (2.4x media). However, when you have the source disk in and DVDXcopy reads from it to prepare for the burn this process is absolutely abysmally slow. All told, it takes me 30 minutes to burn a disc (which his fine) but a good 20-30 minutes for DVDXcopy to finish reading the source disc. WTF is going on here? Is this the dreaded 2X lock?

If I put the source disc in my Toshiba 1612 it still chugs along slow as a snail when DVDXcopy reads from it. Is there a fix for this? Is this normal?

Thanks

Originally posted by Riptide

If I put the source disc in my Toshiba 1612 it still chugs along slow as a snail when DVDXcopy reads from it. Is there a fix for this? Is this normal?

Thanks [/B]

Yes, the Toshiba 1612 and also the new 1712 are limited in ripping protected Video DVD´s.
I´ve got a 1712 and it read´s protected DVD´s at a max speed of ~4x.

DataGuard

Dataguard, thankyou very much for answering this question. So the 20 minute process to rip the disc via dvdxcopy is normal for both my dru500ax and also my toshiba.

This is indeed a “dirty” little secret. Most people aren’t even aware of this. Indeed, I was puzzled by it when I noticed how long it took to prepare the copy process. I wish there was an easy way to get around this, but it sounds like I would need to get an older DVD-ROM drive from a couple years back in order to not have this issue.

Looks like I’m going to need some patience then. These forums are an absolute godsend to a newbie like me, and I appreciate the knowledgeable answers to these questions. Sure beats scratching my head for weeks trying to figure out why ripping takes so long.

like I would need to get an older DVD-ROM drive from a couple years back in order to not have this issue.[/B]

If maximum speed is what you are seeking then try a Pionieer DVD-A06, i had this drive before and the speed was ~10x.

Cya, DataGuard

Thanks Dataguard, I think I can be patient for the time-being. I’m not in a big enough hurry to justify spending more $$$ when I already laid down 3 bills for the Sony. I appreciate the suggestion very much though.

That said, I did a cursory search and can’t find this thing in stock to many places. I also checked Pioneer’s website and could not find any specs for the DVD-Video transfer rates. Not that I doubt what you are saying, but it does seem funny that Pioneer doesn’t publish that. I might be missing it though.

[B]Thanks Dataguard, I think I can be patient for the time-being. I’m not in a big enough hurry to justify spending more $$$ when I already laid down 3 bills for the Sony. I appreciate the suggestion very much though.

That said, I did a cursory search and can’t find this thing in stock to many places. I also checked Pioneer’s website and could not find any specs for the DVD-Video transfer rates. Not that I doubt what you are saying, but it does seem funny that Pioneer doesn’t publish that. I might be missing it though. [/B]

Take a look here: http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia/products/dvd-rom/dvda06s/dvd-106s_116.htm

Went ahead and decided to get the pioneer 106s. Hopefully this will speed up the rip speeds in dvdxcopy.

One thing I have noticed is that when making an ISO with dvddecrypter (taking an ISO) the rip speeds vary. Some discs seem to rip at 2x and others seem to jump up to about 8x. Not sure why…

The pioneer looks like a much nicer drive than the toshiba 1612. I really like that slot loading mechanism.