DVDShrink question

vbimport

OK, just so you know, I’m all about making 1:1 copies (all about ISO.)

Anyway, a couple of years ago, while using DVD Shrink, I found that, with the OCCASIONAL disc, the output files read as being anywhere from 0.02GB to 0.30GB less than the original DVD. Only on certain discs. When this happens, is it the program REMOVING the copy protection (as oppose to circumventing it) or is it something being left off (omitted) …for example, PDF documents, if the DVD has them?

It’s removing the copy protection so you never get a 100% exact copy.

The size difference is even more apparent when ripping software removes fake (unplayable) content and I’ve seen some dramatic before and after size differences in these circumstances.

[B]Wombler [/B]

Many thanks, sir.

However, the vast majority of my ISO files have been made with DVDFab, and every single one of them displays EXACTLY THE SAME filesize as the original disc. So is DVDFab circumventing the copy protection instead of removing it? Is DVDFab keeping the fake content?

Am simply curious.

Tried a couple of DVDs with Magic DVD Copier recently (awesome) - one of them had an identical filesize to the DVD, the other was 0.05GB less. I only mention this because DVDFab is the only program I’ve used where filesizes ALWAYS remain identical to that of the source disc (the only other two programs I’ve used being Magic DVD Copier and DVDShrink.)

I always rip to DVD filesets and don’t use ISOs.

When you rip to a fileset it’s usually slightly smaller depending on what has been removed.

With so many protection variants though every disc is potentially different and may or may not need material removed, so you never really know what is going to happen with a particular disc until you try it.

If your ISOs are all the same size though then it must be something to do with the way DVDFab handles ISOs .

DVDFab will have removed all the protection from the files within the ISO but from what you say it sounds possible that DVDFab is perhaps padding the ISOs, but I’m not sure on that one.

It’s nothing to worry about though.

Magic DVD Copier is indeed very good and I was impressed when I reviewed it recently.

You may also find Ideal DVD Copy interesting which I also enjoyed testing.

If you’d like to read further on either of these programs check out the review links in my signature.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yes, I read your entire review the other day (that’s how I ended up here at the forum.)

A job well done, sir!! :smiley:

Gonna click your link and take a look at Ideal DVD Copy now.

Just for the record, on MY set-up (my virtual archive, a.k.a. Project:Jukebox) I’m running DVDFab 6 (my program of choice) and DVDShrink (on stand-by, in case of emergencies.)

Plan to add DVDFab 7 and Magic DVD Copier (along with Magic DVD Ripper.)

Were I to add yet another DVD copy program (for example, Ideal DVD Copy) …well, could that prove to be “too much”, for any reason?

@SV7

With Magic DVD Ripper you will not be disappointed. :cool:

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=SV7;2619321]Yes, I read your entire review the other day (that’s how I ended up here at the forum.)

A job well done, sir!! :smiley:

Gonna click your link and take a look at Ideal DVD Copy now.

Just for the record, on MY set-up (my virtual archive, a.k.a. Project:Jukebox) I’m running DVDFab 6 (my program of choice) and DVDShrink (on stand-by, in case of emergencies.)

Plan to add DVDFab 7 and Magic DVD Copier (along with Magic DVD Ripper.)

Were I to add yet another DVD copy program (for example, Ideal DVD Copy) …well, could that prove to be “too much”, for any reason?[/QUOTE]

Thanks and that’s actually good to hear. When we add content here it’s not just for the existing members as we always hope to get new people involved in the forums.

It’s a difficult thing to quantify though as you never find out why most users join.

With regard to the software, you don’t need them all.

I’ve given my own opinion in the reviews but everyone is different and there might be certain things you particularly like about one package or another.

Likewise you don’t want to end up paying extra for features that you personally will never use so cost may also affect your choice.

They all have free trials so check them out and see what you personally prefer (and best suits your own needs) then go for that.

[B]Wombler[/B]