DVDshrink question: Deep Analysis/quality enhancement

vbimport

Hello,

I have a question about using Deep Analysis as well as the adaptive error compensation.

If you use the Deep Analysis will it make that much of a difference if you decide to skip the adaptive error compensation? I read AEC can be very time consuming.

Also if you do decide to choose adaptive error compensation is it best to leave it as default of sharp? According to shrink it says “The default option is Sharp, which will tend to preserve the sharpness of the original video. This may be at the expense of fluidity or smoothness, where individual frames of the video are perceived to blend smoothly together”

Would it be best then to maybe use smooth?

I am pretty confused why you’d use this feature and what would be the best one and the advantages and disadvantages of using say smooth , sharp etc.

Thanks in advance

It all a matter of personal taste.
The only advise I can give is try with and without and see if can tell the difference. If you can’t then don’t use it.
Simple :slight_smile:

Yeah I know what you mean and it makes sense. I still would like to know more about these options though.

Ok then.

When DVD Shrink looks at a DVD, it does not look at every frame, but maybe every every second or so (i.e. every 30 frames) and gains a general idea about how much the movie has to be compressed by. To make sure it does not look like a fool and under estimate the comression (and you end up with something too big to fit on a DVD), it is quite conseritive with the size and the rendering when it actually does convert the disc.
Deep analasys looks closer at the disc (shorter gaps between the frames) and it can be more accurate with what compression it needs to best fit a normal DVD.

Quality enhancement is done when the film is being converted.
Sometimes it will lower the resolution of the film (and other little tricks) to get the file small enough. Doing so can sometimes make the film lose some of it’s sharpness and in worse cases make a multi-million dollar Holywood blockbuster look like it was shot with a £200 camcorder. With quality enhancement, after compressing the frame, it will enhance it by sharpening, colour enhancement, de-blurring and various other effects.

The downside of both of these is that they take more time and you have to wait longer to get your DVD.

The reason I say try it is that some people can’t see the diffrence. It may be due to only watching them on a protable TV, or there eyesight is not great. Then again some people swear by it (and they probabaly have huge TV’s and have pilot vision :wink: ). It really is a matter of having a go and seeing what you think.

IMHO it depends on the level of compression that is required. I would say if it requires more than 30% compression then it definitely makes a difference. I have used the additional sharp refinement on some recent backups (Star Wars Trilogy, Last Samurai) and there is a definite difference in how sharp the color/picture looks. Deep Analysis does a great job but it simply cannot re-capture the sharp picture quality that some of the extra enhancements can. It does take longer but it is only an additional 15-20minutes. IMHO the quality difference on certain films definitely merits the enhancement. :wink:

So you recommend when more than %30 compression is needed to not only do Deep Analysis but also go for the AEC set at sharp? is there ever a time you would want to even use the soft setting? Also have you noticed when using the ‘sharp’ option that ‘fluidity’ or ‘smoothness’ is then affected? This is what the help file states may happen when using the sharp option.

Thanks to all responses so far…

Yeah, I would say it is worth it. As mentioned, you might want to just do a comparison if you have time. I’m sure you could score a few brownie points with your girl or some friends if you gave them the spare. :wink: As far as the other settings go, I have never tried them simply because I have been so pleased with the results that sharp produces. As for the fluidity? Never noticed a single glitch and I have burned several movies with this setting in place.

Fluidity can be seen in certain movies where there is a lot of fast moving action (such as “2 Fast 2 Furious”) as it can’t quite keep up with all the changes in each frame AND keep the compression down. If you have a slower movie (such as “The Green Mile”) where the camera does not move around a lot then the default settings will give you a very decent copy.

Yeah but 2 Fast 2 Furious doesn’t require much compression. I believe I had it at about 95% original quality when I did mine. Anyways, I did it on the Star Wars Trilogy and couldn’t tell a difference.

Fast & the furious 2 has lots of speedy scenes & slow moving scenes which requires lots of blending / smoothing & analysis.

Do the deep analysis & use smoothing, otherwise it will look like crap.

Deep analysis is literally just the 1st pass of a 2 pass codec. It decides where the most action is and where it really needs to compress, and what it can leave less compression. Deep analysis will also hit the target size better. (ie deep will hit 4.2GB exactly, whereas deep off may result in 4.26, which is too big to fit on teh disc & hence you spend the next 15 minutes recompressing it.)

Having deep analysis off can be annoying as it will compress it with a CBR type system & some scenes look terrible. Having the smoothing off will end up with grainy sections in the film.

I can see it. My brother can’t see it. My mother can see it, my dad can’t and my sister can’t, neither can either of my two friends, unless I pause it.

That’s 1/3 of your target audience (in the highly scientifc & conclusive survey) which will be complaining the result was grainy.

Personally, I’d say stick it on overnight (it will take aboout 45mins->1.5hrs) and let it crank away and automatically burn to DVD. Leave Deep analysis on, & let it smooth it :wink: Sharp looks awful :stuck_out_tongue: Smooth = Quality from DVD2one :iagree:

@ Jesterrace: You’ve probabally seen that Holywood makes more than one type of DVD for a movie (origional, Director’s cut, Collectors Edition etc…), so just because you got 95% does not mean that everyone else will, especially if you want to leave in all the extras, subtitles and so forth.

@ Debro: Thanks for the extra info, it’s good to know I’m not the only one who can see glitches in movies when others say it’s fine (or are we just perfectionists:p ).

Dunno. I’m a virgo, but I can occasionally see glitches in even pressed DVD’s. Nuff said :stuck_out_tongue:
My mum is technically blind and she can see glitches in DVDshrinked (old version DVDshrink) movies.

So I was backing up this movie the other day. Used Sharp… ok, nm, I’m gonna use Smooth and see what happens. Is Max Smooth required?

Lololololololololol :slight_smile:
Sharp = Old dvdshrink routines = nasty artifacts & fuzziness.
Smooth = DVD2one quality + autoburn but at half the speed :stuck_out_tongue:

If you say so man. Do you look at the screen with a magnifying glass or do you have a 100" screen TV?

I have a 4:3 ratio 68cm TV + 19" monitor.
Unsmoothed DVD shrinked DVD’s look tragic on the latter & not much better on the former.
If you can’t see it, you must be blind.

DVD2one has some form of smoothing, or better reduction algorithmn and it suffers not so much when movies are shrunk.
DVD2one has issues & refuses to load DVD movies if you have only extracted the movie to the HD & not the entire DVD.

Sharp looks edgy, that I gotta admit. I’m gonna see what Smooth looks like now. Got a lot of fast action standy doggy…

Update. Yes, it looks a little better than Sharp. Looks like I’ll be using Smooth from now on. Takes 1 hour.

So you say use Deep Analysis before actually backing up to the hard drive or doing any re-authoring? What I mean is use the Deep Analysis button before even pressing the backup button and not doing it via the quality enhancement tab in the backup dvd section? I hope that made sense what I just said.

Also, is there an advantage to setting it to autoburn as opposed to letting it go to your hard drive and burning it later on or whenever?

Hmm, Looks like I will give smooth a go on my next burn.

Smooth sure is slower. It really taxes the computer and I have a FX53! With sharp I do not notice anything bad with compression higher than 82%. Below that I do use smooth but it goes from a 10 min. backup to a 45 min. one. :iagree: