DVDShrink Faster?

vbimport

I have recently bought a 20x DVD-RW drive for my PC as opposed to my old busted 4x. When I use Shrink to burn dvd’s the only process that actually speeds up is burning. Now I know that sounds obvious but I thought it would read discs faster too, or is it the program that reads the disc? Is there any way of speeding up the encoding process or does the program already run as fast as it can? I also want to know is the ‘deep analysis’ option actually worth the wait, does it improve the quality noticeably? All sugestions welcome. Thanks.

Frankly, I can’t tell the diff. with or w/o… But I mostly do Main movie only backups, sooo less compression…Only you can be the judge of the quality for “your” eyes…Try both and see if it’s worth “your” time…
JMO!..

Assuming that you apply compression, the only way to get it to catch up speed is to get a faster CPU.

The deep analyse will make the output to be the size you set it to. It also makes the compression to be better as the program knows ahead how the DVD looks and can better vary the compression over the DVD.

The read speed is deliberately set low by the drive firmware. Depending on the make and model number of the drive, there may be a patched firmware that has the riplock removed.

How do we know that his drives firmware is riplocked?

Most if not all are.

What Drive make and model is it as there is ways to patch this.

[quote=Dr. Who;2066769]Most if not all are.

What Drive make and model is it as there is ways to patch this.[/quote]

My drive is ‘LITEON ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P DVD/CD-ROM’. Why, is there anything you can tell me from this?

[quote=Gummigutta;2066766]How do we know that his drives firmware is riplocked?[/quote][quote=PughLfC;2068062]My drive is ‘LITEON ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P DVD/CD-ROM’. Why, is there anything you can tell me from this?[/quote] Read here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/20a4p-stock-firmware-riplock-patch-234431/

[B]@PughLfC:[/B] try downloading CD-DVD Speed and run the tests provided. The maximum read speed of your drive will be discovered.

How do I find out the current read speed of my drive?

Rip some DVD through DVD Decrypter, that should show you the read speed.

The DH-20A4P is not supposed to be riplocked, and should read at a maximum of 12x for DVD-ROM DL, video DVD or not. As far as I know, if it is, there is no firmware/patch for the drive to patch read speeds [as none is really needed].

The slowness is most likely the actual processing taking a long time. A faster computer with the same DH-20A4P would most likely see a decrease in time required to “read” DVDs in DVDShrink, as the computer would be able to transcode the DVD faster.