DVDShrink 2.3

vbimport

What’s new in version 2.3 :
Fixed bug in re-author module which occurred in certain DVDs with a strange PGC structure. This bug caused dvd player to freeze or lockup at specific points in the movie.
Added support for 64bit file sizes.
Added support for opening files generated by IFOEdit software.
Fixed bug which caused analysis to crash if input video stream is corrupt.
Attempt to make “Remapping VOBS” stage more reliable, even if there are errors on original DVD.
Added automatic “retry” (4 retries) if read from disk fails.
Fixed error in .IFO file output: vtsi_mat_ea, vts_tmapt_ea.
Fixed bug where video could be corrupted in some rare situations (vobu containing more than one sequence header).

Tweaked video encoder module, now slightly faster.
Fixed bug in “Still Pictures” mode, picture temporal reference is now set correctly, and sequence end code is always written.
Added “Total Processing Time” information to finish dialog.
Added support in “Preferences” for combining titles which overlap or share the same video in the DVD View. This prevents confusion where a compression level applied to one title also affects another, because they share the same video.

Download here:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrink23.zip

You wouldn’t care to forward me a copy, would you?

I don’t seem to be able to grab it from either the main or mirror sites…

-Pete

the link is working btw using Flashget :cool:

use;

-right click on link
=save target as

Works on Mac OS X using Safari… yeah, my line’s down at home… that and the LCD. Can’t wait for my 160GB HD, LCD, and DSL to come so I can try out DS 2.3!!!

Got it now! It was my firewall rudely interrupting.

Impressive, isn’t it? He’s still leaving the layer-break bit in, which means you’ve got to bugger about with IFOEdit before you can create a DVD that doesn’t stop for a look round half way through, but beyond that I have to admit it’s pretty good. The quality in the new versions seems to be at least as good as its peers and its interface is better than most.

Hmm… Free too. I just don’t understand why:confused:

-Pete

LOL because he loves sticking it to the MPAA probably.

Peter McAll,

Can you type a quick list of the Steps in Ifoedit one would use to remove the Layer Break before useing DVDShrink?? I’d really appreciate it… When I did a search on the Layer Break, all that comes up are posts related to DVD2ONE’s removal of the break. Without that stumble in the middle of the movie, DVDShrink would be awesome.

Mais oui,

1. Open the movie’s IFO, usually VTS_01_0.IFO, with IFOEdit
  2. Note the cell number where the layer break occurs.
  3. Note the PGC number, usually PGC_1
  4. Expand VTS_PGCITI and select the PGC noted at (3)
  5. Scroll down until you find the cell number noted at (2)
  6. The very first entry for that cell - cell type - will have some value other than 8.
  7. Double click this line and change the value by adding 8 to whatever’s there now. Thus, if it’s 2 make it 10, if it’s 0 make it 8.
  8. Save the file.
  9. You may want to do a Get VTS sectors, too. It isn’t strictly necessary, but it does confirm the general integrity of the files. For instance, this last action showed up problems in version 2.2 of Shrink (no longer present in 2.3)

-Pete

Peter McCAll

Thanks Pete…“You Da Man”!!!:bow:

I tried to backup my R2 Road to Perdition with DVDShrink 2.3 - the Disc1 has quite a lot of features on with the movie so decided not to do movie only and try to do full disk - I did Re-Author and played with quite high compression levels on menus and extras until the bar was GREEN at the top inside the 4.7gb limit.

But, when I then drag the files into the Video-TS folder in Nero, it goes OVER the limit of 4.4 (4.37gb).

In the end I chose Full Disk and just told DVDShrink to do the whole lot on MAX compression which had the green bar showing about 4.1gb, this then fits with Nero.

Does everyone try to keep around/below 4.1 or is it just that Road to Perdition has many files etc…??

Thanks, Fedorov.

i often do trial and error cause the main problem is sometimes with shrink that you have to chooose between 2 levels of compression , one gives you 2 megs too much and the other lets you with 300 megs empty :((

so i first try the too high and see if shrink isn’t wrong with its estimation :slight_smile: if not no chance and i’ll go with the lower

about “rtp” i wouldn’t use max compression for the movie lvlv 9 and 10 are …how to say…mmm no i won’t say

in your case i would either just keep the movie and no menus extra etc… or if you absolutly want the bonus do them on another dvd just put the film in static images on one dvd and bonus in static images on the other one

but i can’t help you very much i didn’t backup that particular movie

good luck

Thanks for the advice - I’ve shown my backup of RTP to a few people and they can’t tell the difference so I’m pretty happy with it - was certainly a good one to test DVDShrink with :slight_smile:

So are we going 2 see a new version, though I don’t think it needs much more work.

The only thing I think that I would like to see is the layer break bit removed, otherwise I’m quite happy with DVDShrink…

AfterDawn have posted a DVDShrink guide… http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Fed.

dvdshrink 3 main things still left to do:

1. remove layer break

2. remove RCE protection

3. ability to set default audio/sub streams

about that afterdawn guide…I was planning on linking to it but they knock dvdshrink pretty hard (not as hard as I knock 321studios) but nevertheless

quote from that guide:
" It has actually more options than most of its commercial counterparts, but it is slightly slower and more difficult to use than most of its competitors – but nevertheless, it is totally free. "

more difficult…hmm let’s say you can do more stuff like trim credits if you want I think it’s just a tad more difficult than express. Not much use in debating this though.

“In addition of DVD Shrink, you obviously need to have at least 11 to 18 gigabytes of free HDD space available”.
Actually you could get by with 4.37GB …I swear I’ve done it many many many times.

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvdxcopy_xpress_guide.cfm
"he results are quite phenomenal as well! DVD2One, DVD95Copy, and DVD Shrink all perform very well indeed, but XPRESS has the edge with integrated ripping, and impressive speed. Price-wise no-one can compete with DVD Shrink, but as many have discovered, DVD Shrink doesn’t always work that well. For easy, top-notch quality movie-only DVD backups, DVD X Copy XPRESS is the number one right now. "

gimme a break “DVD Shrink doesn’t always work that well.” Please show me again the huge # of threads of problems with Xpress. They both have their share of problems.

Originally posted by mrbass
[B]dvdshrink 3 main things still left to do:

1. remove layer break

2. remove RCE protection

3. ability to set default audio/sub streams [/B]

1. Definitely the thing to do on 2.4.

2. Given most… experienced DVD encoding users use DVD Decrypter, which has built-in RCE protection removal function, adding the function in DVD Shrink will only benefit people who are too lazy to download and use DVD Decrypter.

3. I see what you’re saying w/ the default selections, but it’s a lot easy for the author to leave everthing selected and let the user decide which streams to keep or dump. Yes it takes longer, but only 5 secs longer.

4. “but as many have discovered, DVD Shrink doesn’t always work that well. For easy, top-notch quality movie-only DVD backups, DVD X Copy XPRESS is the number one right now.”

Says who? J6Ps who can’t even turn on a monitor w/o calling tech support? If anyone finds DVD Shrink difficult to work w/ maybe the individual should just ebay the computer. That afterdawn guy is either an idiot or got paid by the crooks at 321 studios to say those things. Probably the former. Who in this day and time doesn’t have a HD at least 80GB and above (120GB if they bought from Dell), so what is w/ the comment about using 11 to 18GB of HD space? I don’t intend to read his unintelligent and uninformed article about DVD Shrink and other encoders, but I can assume he didn’t point out constant usage of a DVD-ROM while encoding puts more stress on the unit and could shorten its life, versus if you rip the files to HD first and encode from there.

Given most… experienced DVD encoding users use DVD Decrypter, which has built-in RCE protection removal function, adding the function in DVD Shrink will only benefit people who are too lazy to download and use DVD Decrypter.

Or people who dislike having 26 million different tools on their writer system :). I like DVDShrink 2.3 a LOT. I’m especially fond of the “just click a few buttons and onward we go” approach.

I’ve managed to backup about 4 complete dvd movies in one evening using 3 computers and one dvd writer.

The only difficult i had was with X-Men 1.5. This thing seems to have RCE protection in it , for the rest of the movies , there was absolutely no problem. I can live with that.

The only (hardly) noticable quality loss in the recompressing was when i used a 16:9 tft laptop screen in 1600x1200x32b resolution to watch a movie. There were some weird things in the background. I can live with that as well :slight_smile:

DVDShrink , Nero , couple of dvd players and a writer. Who needs more ? :slight_smile:

One small feature I would suggest is this:

There should be one more choice of compression level - BELOW the “STILL PICTURES” option there should be a new option, an option I’d call “BLACK SCREEN”.

The “BLACK SCREEN” option would simply place a solid black screen where any unwanted extra was. “BLACK SCREEN” option would save even more room than the current “STILL PICTURES” option.

Aside from that, I am loving this program.