DVDs Won't Run

I can’t get Store purchased DVDs to start on my computer. Earlier DVDs that I have burned in the past start just fine. I have Windows XP Home Edition and Norton 360 V 2.0 installed. Somehow it seems to be a problem with settings on the new DVDs. Maybe Region Codes or ??? I am using XPack software but have tried others. I have this problem with all player software. Windows says the new DVDs are corrupted but it plays my own DVDs burned earlier.

Thanks, Phil:sad::sad::sad:

Try playing one in VLC media player. It is self contained and doesn’t rely on outside codecs. www.videolan.org

I downloaded VLC but same result. When I put a store bought DVD in the D drive, it still says Microsoft cannot support the disc and that it may be corrupted. I think it might be still trying to use the old software and not the newly loaded VLC. Still won’t run newer DVDs only the older ones I have burnt in the past. Phil

You may want to scan for anything that sony or anyone else installed on your computer without you knowing it when you inserted their DVD :eek:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2210130]You may want to scan for anything that sony or anyone else installed on your computer without you knowing it when you inserted their DVD :eek:[/QUOTE]

How do I do this? What would I search for? The trouble all started when I changed the hard drive after my old one crashed. Also I notice my hard drive is not the C drive anymore. Microsoft says I can change the drive labels. Now my hard drive is the F drive. Does this matter as far as playing back DVDs?

Thanks, Phil

[QUOTE=philipswanson;2210486]How do I do this? What would I search for? The trouble all started when I changed the hard drive after my old one crashed. Also I notice my hard drive is not the C drive anymore. Microsoft says I can change the drive labels. Now my hard drive is the F drive. Does this matter as far as playing back DVDs?

Thanks, Phil[/QUOTE]

The change is the drive shouldn’t matter but you should check in your control panel in adminstrative tools in computer management then to storage and to disk management and make sure your main System drive is listed as System drive on the status indicator. If not you should just make the change there right click it choose change drive letter and paths. That should make it the system C:\ drive. But since you didn’t mention how many other HDDs you have on your system if one of those took over the C:\ disagnation then you will have to make that one to another drive designation so you can make the F:\ back to the System C:\ drive again and Reboot as well when you do this just to be safe. But also it could mean the DVD itself is bad as well but since we don’t know the name of the dvd I don’t know what else to say on the dvd. But lastly do you have the Recovery cds for your computer that you bought and if not you should buy them so that you can do a complete system Restore to factory settings to fix any system corrupted files if you can’t fix them.

Yes, another drive took over the “C”. Microsoft won’t let me change any of the drive labels. When you go into Administrative Tools, and attempt to change a drive label, it tells you you can’t change any. Also I have tried at least 10 DVDs which are off the shelf and none will play. Again, DVDs I burned run fine. Microsoft is telling me that the DVDs are not formatted and may be corrupted. I don’t have any repair discs. Dead end I guess.

Thanks, Phil

[quote=philipswanson;2210703]Yes, another drive took over the “C”. Microsoft won’t let me change any of the drive labels. When you go into Administrative Tools, and attempt to change a drive label, it tells you you can’t change any. Also I have tried at least 10 DVDs which are off the shelf and none will play. Again, DVDs I burned run fine. Microsoft is telling me that the DVDs are not formatted and may be corrupted. I don’t have any repair discs. Dead end I guess.

Thanks, Phil[/quote]
If another drive took the label of C then you will have to change that drive label first…(use a letter that is not used)… before you are able to change the one for your hard drive back to C.