DVDs won't play on any machine

Hi,

About 5 years ago I rented a dvd burner from a store and burned all my home videos on to a bunch of dvds. I did this by hooking up the camcorder to the machine and then burning. Then I made sure the dvds worked on the machine. A while later I tried playing them on a different dvd player and it couldn’t read the format. Since then I have tried every machine I could think of and none of them have worked including the one in my computer. I took the dvds to BestBuy to see if they could get them to work, but they couldn’t figure out what format they were burnt in either. I know that some machine out there can play them because they worked on the machine that I rented. It was a philips machine I am pretty sure. Can a dvd-burner burn in a format that only that particular machine can read? I would really appreciate some help. The dvds have a ton of memories on them and are priceless to me. Thanks a lot.

Dan

With the DVD in the drive, go to My Computer, right click your DVD drive and select Explore. Do you see anything on the disk? If so, what file/files do you see?

Can a dvd-burner burn in a format that only that particular machine can read? I

Sounds like a finalization issue. Did you finalize the discs originally?

No I don’t see anything when I right click on the drive and click explore. Hmm not sure if I finalized the discs. I must have if I could view them on that dvd burner right? If not then is there a way I can finalize them now?

[QUOTE=Buffin;2204813]No I don’t see anything when I right click on the drive and click explore. Hmm not sure if I finalized the discs.[B] I must have if I could view them on that dvd burner right? [/B]If not then is there a way I can finalize them now?[/QUOTE]
Unfinalized discs will play only in the recording machine.

Ahh I see. So is there a way to recover the data on the discs now? Any way to finalize them or something?

It’s gonna be tough. Do you know anyone with a recorder to see if it plays and maybe finalizes?

Some info here:

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413561

No unfortunately not… Thanks for the info and help guys. I appreciate it. I’ll see if I can figure it out.