DVDs with certain sectors corrupt - A burning software that can 'exclude' these sectors while writing?

vbimport

Dear Friends,

I have hit across a peculiar problem - Just bought a full pack (50) of dual layer dvd [Verbatim - MKM 001 000 (00h)] in which a range of sectors are corrupt - exactly the same on all the 50 dvds! I can’t return it too :(…

Found this out using isobuster which has an option “Create a list of known erroneous sector addresses”.

Except for this the dvds are working great. And I was wondering if:

“Is there some burning software which has an option where I can specify certain sectors to be skipped while writing??”

My writers are a liteon iHAS124 and an Optriac(Sony OEM) - verified this problem using both drives - so its not a drive issue.

Thank you for reading this. If you could help it would be a BIG help. :-)…

[QUOTE=inlife2746;2548814]Dear Friends,

I have hit across a peculiar problem - [B]Just bought[/B] a full pack (50) of dual layer dvd [Verbatim - MKM 001 000 (00h)] in which[I] a range of sectors are corrupt[/I] - exactly the same on all the 50 dvds! I can’t return it too :(…

Found this out using isobuster which has an option “Create a list of known erroneous sector addresses”.

[B]“Is there some burning software which has an option where I can specify certain sectors to be skipped while writing??”[/B]

My writers are a liteon iHAS124 and an Optriac(Sony OEM) - verified this problem using both drives - so its not a drive issue.

Thank you for reading this. If you could help it would be a BIG help. :-)…[/QUOTE]

hmmm…“Just bought” but yet you can’t return them :confused: where did you buy them ?

As far as I know Verbatim has a warranty on them where you can contact the manufacturer.

[B]SJ[/B]

Hi SJ, thank you for checking out my problem. :-)…

Its not returnable. I am from India, here 90% of goods can’t be returned, its very different to what you have in Europe and the USA!

Apart from this, I am surprised that there isn’t a popular software where a feature like this is available. I had googled so much…

[QUOTE=inlife2746;2548814][B]“Is there some burning software which has an option where I can specify certain sectors to be skipped while writing??”[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=inlife2746;2550849]Apart from this, I am surprised that there isn’t a popular software where a feature like this is available. I had googled so much…[/QUOTE]

For what I know, there is no software that can do this. I’m not sure actually that a disc containing such a gap in the recorded track will be readable at all.

If bad sectors are located on the most external part of the disc, then a possible workaround is to write data on the disc avoiding to fill up completely the disc. For example, you can write only 6GB of data on these disc instead of 8 GB. This is certainly possible with any burning software (my preferred is ImgBurn).

If bad sectors are located in a layer only, you can still use these discs as if were single layer media :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=inlife2746;2548814]Dear Friends,…

[B]“Is there some burning software which has an option where I can specify certain sectors to be skipped while writing??”[/B]

Thank you for reading this. If you could help it would be a BIG help. :-)…[/QUOTE]

You mean you’ve burned data to them and you don’t have any problems? If so, what’s to worry? Like geno888, I don’t know of any software to do this, but hardware based defect management has been around a while. What the current state is or whether your drives support it I can’t say.

Hi geno88,

Yes, my research suggests the same things - that a disk in which certain sectors are skipped may not be readable as data is written to it continuously where the drive is assuming that data is present continuously from a certain point to the other. I am not an expert on this…

And I am already doing what you had suggested. With imgburn during its checking phase it gets stuck at the first error that it finds and with that sector address and then using the info from isobuster for the range of corrupt addresses I was able to find out that it happens at the outer edge of the disk and after calculating I am able to write to 7840MB of clean data. But being the techie we all are(we are discussing this here right) :-)… its when such problems happen that we search discuss solve and its a great feeling. :-)…

Hi Whappo,

Hardware defect management - I think my previous Benq drive had something like that(long back, so not sure) - my current Liteon, which according to my research produces the 2nd best drives(after plextor), doesn’t have any option where it first reads and then writes. Its just writing continuously and blindly assuming everything is perfect. The other Optriac (Sony OEM) drive also does the same thing. I had read through the specs of Samsung, Asus(Panasonic OEM), NEC and LG drives, they too don’t seem to be having any option where the drive checks for any bad sectors before writing.

Thanks both of you for writing. :-)…

You are on the wrong wrong path of thinking.

Get a reliable drive and these DL media will work brilliantly.

Hi Chef,

Wrong path?? How can it be the drives? I have checked with 2 drives and 1 drive is brand new! And I don’t have this problem with the same brand DVDs that I brought just 2 days back. That one set/spindle of 50 that I bought last month were all defective. Hope you understood.

Yeah, but you brought “not the same” media, because its WORM (DVD-R).
Its possible that you got a bad batch / spindle of media, refund is the best option.

Hi Chef, yes, you are right, it was just a bad batch. :-)…