DVD's skipping with Benq DW1610

vbimport

Hello
I have been copying films using a Benq DW 1610 writer with b8m9 firmware onto Ritek GO4 discs, the problem is that when I play them in my standalone player the picture starts skipping and freezing. I have read quita alot in the media forums but to be honest I am not sure what it all means, it seems to be all about testing etc and all I would really like to know is what is the best media for my drive in order to get a satisfactory burn.
Thanks for any help :confused:

It’s just a combination of factors. Burner + recommended media + standalone dvd player. Best is to use good quality media. But the standalone player must be compatible with used media. Does your DVD player prefer + or -dvdr.
Maybe a firmware update can help you with your future disks. I’ve read that even with good quality disks and a good burn (checked with Nero cd\dvd scan) a movie skipped and freezed during playing. Other dvd players did not have any problems with the same disk.

It’s realy a combination of things. Use good quality media, take a look at the Nero scans of some burned disks. Update your firmware, bitsetting is already set to -rom to improve compatiblity with standalone players which like -dvdr. I use Fujifilm +dvdr, mediacode TY02. There are more brands which are also very good.

Is it possible to post a scan of your burned Ritek G04 disk, maybe we can draw conclusions then.

Like cor808 said, it really is a combination of factors. But, I would suggest that you try the following DVD+R media (if your player is in fact rated to play DVD+R discs):

1. Verbatim 8x rated, MID=MCC 003
  2. Verbatim 16x rated, MID=MCC 004
  3. Fujifilm (must say made in Japan; not made in Taiwan) 8x rated, MID=YUDEN000 T02
  4. TDK (must say made in Japan; not made in Taiwan) 8x rated, MID=YUDEN000 T02

Burn all of the above at 12x burn speed. If they refuse to work properly, then try a firmware update. If you already have the latest firmware, then I would start thinking about getting a new home DVD player. Just my opinion.

I forgot to mention that the discs I am using are printable, I have read that this can cause problems, also I used DVD Shrink to copy the discs.
What format is best to use + or - ?
When I try to do a Nero a CD-DVD speed I get an error message Unrecovered read error ( 031100 )
When I try to run Nero disc quality test it starts to spin up drive and then nothing happens

BENQ DVD DUAL DW1610 B8M9 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,286,112
Size: 4,681,957,376 bytes
Time: 508:03:37 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: RITEKG04

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,482,719
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Unrecoverd read error doesn’t sound good. Does every dvd you try to scan give this error.? Try to scan an other dvd that doesn’t give you a read error.
Benq is a better + then -dvdr writer, unless you use real quality media from Fujifilm or Verbatim like socrates007 mentioned.

Do you use the latest Nero cd/dvd speedtool, from here
Which version of Nero do you use?

I’ve read about problems you mentioned with printable media, also labels can give problems.

If every single disk that you burn with read error and the disc is from a few different company, probably your 1610 drive is defective.
I owned a LG burner previously, I tried onidtech4x(cheap), smartbuy8x(prodisc), ritek-rw4x(rico), ridata+rw4x, optodisc+rw4x. It is really screw, the LG burner was able to verify the disc. I put it into another LG-reader, all with 031100 error. I was able to copy all the file from the disc back to the computer on the burner. I though, maybe because The LG-dvdrom drive is old. I ask my friend to test the disc for me. His dvd burner is only able to copy the first 2.6GB of data from the disc, all other files beyond 2.6GB with CRC error.
I burned some dvd, all dvd fail to read on most of my friends standalone dvd player, it was only able to play back on my norcent DP300 dvd-player.

I refunded the LG burner and got the Benq 1610, everything now is working fine.

I suggest you try another disk from different manufacture. Or give the disc to someone with dvd-reader. If they cannot read back many files. You should exchange for another one.

I have only burn’t three dvd’s since I purchased this writer the first two I tried with nero speed test had the error message (031100) the third had an error message invalid field in CDB (052400) could I assume from this that my Benq writer is at fault?
I use Nero 6 software

I don’t think you can confirm the drive is at fault, if you only tried one type of dvd media and from the same manufacture. You should really try another media from different media manufacture.

The onidtech dvd disk that I use, i think is almost the cheapest in the dvd media market. I got the 031100 error when burned with the LG defective drive, but that 031100 error didn’t happen when burned with the Benq drive.

Did you bought the drive from Futureshop? As long as you still haven’t cut the UPC for rebate. Get a replacement as soon as possible.